Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 PM

Thumbs up 18 years of riding later... My first race!

I've been riding religiously for the last 18 years and have decided that it is about time to step it up! I'll be entering my first ever race this coming Sunday 5/19 on my trusty 2001 EC300. It is a time keeper with 3 loops totaling 100 miles, the format seems kind of difficult to follow but everyone I've talked to about it says it's like a trail ride with your friends with the occasional all-out "special test" section. Here is the ride flyer/ info on the D37 site: http://www.district37ama.org/forums/...ad.php?t=57862

I bought my 300 about 1 year ago still on the original tires (with the nubs still on them at that!) with the goal of setting it up exclusively for rocks and tight single track. After adding fresh tires, a bunch of armor, and dropping to a 12 tooth CS sprocket I really didn't feel the need to mess with it any further. When it comes to high speed riding (think open desert) my big orange bike is my go-to, but with a critical rear suspension part in need of replacement and on backorder, it's time for the 300 to step in!

To say I'm on a tight budget is an understatement, but I knew I would have to do something to make the Gasser handle a bit better at speed. With less than $200 to go towards prep, I had to decide where my money would best be spent. Do I buy a mount kit so I can borrow the stabilizer off my other bike? Buy a set of proper knobby tires? (I'm running a trials tire on the rear) Nope, there is something much more important that I've been missing, it was time to finally buy the correct springs for my weight!

Without having a separate high speed adjuster on my rear shock, I've had to leave the low speed pretty loose to deal with trail trash at the expense of being able to tackle fast whoops and sailing off of fire breaks. I'm hoping that actually having proper springs will help to handle the bigger hits without giving up compliance on the little stuff (I know it will.)

I'm waiting on the springs still but I put a 13 tooth CS sprocket back on, slid my forks back down in the clamps, and bumped up my tire pressures a couple psi. I'll just have to deal with the trials tire on the mx track portion of the race and hone my drifting skills in the fast turns on the rest of the course.

At 29 years old racing in the C HWT class, I'm not expecting to be remotely competitive against the younger/fearless riders, but I'll be happy with a finish. Wish me luck, I'll update here with my outcome!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM

In all it's glory:

To those with experience with time keeper enduro's: any pointers? I'll just be using a digital wrist watch strapped to my handlebars for this round, if I decide to do another time keeper I'll likely buy a proper computer then. I will also be pitting for myself so hopefully that won't slow me down too much, should just be fuel, goggles, and drinking water? I'd imagine if I needed much more than that (i.e. tire change) I'd time out anyway?
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

sounds like fun... just did my first enduro since 95.. (i am a little older than you) but it was a blast.. i was kinda told the buddy ride with some special sections also, but ......
our first special section was 16 miles of turns and trees.. it was fun..
I would say go and have fun.. my plan was to finish, which i did.. the gasser was flawless. This was a restart format, so you had a few minutes to rest before each section.. a few more minutes at the gas stop (i put some fruit and gatorade on my gas can..) it was about 70 trail miles, i probably could have pushed harder, but i really think i am more tired after some of our "trail" rides..
go and have fun.. dont ride over your head..stay with the guys on your minute...

nice bike..
Old 05-13-2013, 04:03 PM

Being your first.....just go and have fun! I really would not worry too much on the time keeping aspect, key off someone on your minute and ride.

Understanding the rule book is half the battle, those clubs can get pretty sneaky and knowing the rules make it much easier to understand the whole concept.

I prefer the Qualifer style myself.....easy trail ride...and hammer the specials. Just looked at the flyer.....it is a qualifer....hammer down! Have fun!

P.S...your bike looks great! Very clean for a older GasGas'er. Looks like you already have a oversize tank...plenty of gas on board!

Gorman...will be hot, dry and dusty!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 05-16-2013, 01:00 PM

Hey..heads up!!!!! The Gorman Qualifer is cancelled due to a fire burning within the OHV park! Check it out to be sure!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Yep, I caught that. I'm really bummed. I got my springs installed and took the bike out for a 30-ish mile shake down run the other day and got the clickers all dialed in, moved the clip on my needle one step leaner and I'm real satisfied with the performance of everything now. I detailed the bike and lubed it all up and even loaded the trailer. Now I'm all dressed up with no place to go

My wife is due with our second child next month so this was going to be my last opportunity to jump in for a while. Maybe I'll try another event in the late part of the season (Oct-Nov) but I will have turned 30 by then so I will move into the vet class.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM

You could always head out to Pozo!
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

Old 05-16-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm pretty burnt out on Pozo, Ballinger, Rockfront, Pismo, etc. etc. That is, unless you were suggesting that you would be interested in going? Sometimes riding the same old places with a new group can make things interesting again. I'm was hoping that since I'm not racing, that I'd ride someplace new (within ~3 hours of home) I've never been to Keyesville so I'm looking in to that. Either way, no riding partners = no riding.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM

I would like to go riding....but..I have a few things that I need to get off my plate first.

The Yamaha is torn down for summer maintenance:

The GasGas has a damaged pipe...my son had a nice encounter with a boulder!

Going to Fresno this weekend for BullDog grad...daughter nor the wife would be too happy if I bailed on that!

I have not been to Pozo in a long time, would be fun to get down there and ride! I could let the wife go wine tasting

I'm pretty much bike less right now
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

Old 05-16-2013, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
In all it's glory:

To those with experience with time keeper enduro's: any pointers? I'll just be using a digital wrist watch strapped to my handlebars for this round, if I decide to do another time keeper I'll likely buy a proper computer then. I will also be pitting for myself so hopefully that won't slow me down too much, should just be fuel, goggles, and drinking water? I'd imagine if I needed much more than that (i.e. tire change) I'd time out anyway?
I got one of these but yours looks nicer and has a big tank..very nice!!