Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:13 PM

Default airbox-reeds no longer in alignment. opinions/options please.

my airbox boot, carburator, and reeds do not fit together properly. if i get the carb all the way into the boot like it is supposed to be, it does not even come close to being aligned with the reed's rubber tube thingy(i dont know the word for it, but you get what i mean). i can almost get everything to seal up, but not to the point where i would trust it. i did my first trail ride up in akeley and was double checking everything after a crash and discovered this missalignment which i have been overlooking since i bought it. i can try to take pictures if that would help with the description any, but im asking if i would be better off buying a new airbox boot, a new rubber tube thingy, or maybe a reed block spacer, which would move the reed block more into alignment. because while it isnt aligned, if i had about one more centimeter of length to any one of those three things, i could get it airtight enough for me to be comfortable with it.
thanks

Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 AM

Squeeze your reed valve boot looking for any cracks . If replacement is needed boyesen is the best place to buy, $ 7.00 If you have the hose clamps that are plated together get rid of them , and replace with two separate hose clamps .Install carb and reed boot, this is the most important alignment. carb vent lines should just touch gas tank, this is as close as you will get for vertical alignment . Do not over tighten the hose clamps, just enough so you can not twist the carb . next take a hair dryer to heat the air boot, this should make your boot very pliable. if it is still to short and you are less than 6' foot tall .you can elongate the holes in the bottom of your sub frame. this will bring your air boot closer to the carb and lower your seat height . good luck lance
Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 AM

alignment is fine vertically, its side to side that is the problem. that is why i was thinking a reed spacer, because it would move the intake back inline with the carb and move it close enough to fit.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I have the same problem with the 04 200 I bought . I was able to get it all worked out by gently & patiently working the carb to the reed Boot (or whatever it is) and tightened each screw alittle at a time ,back & forth between the two screws . THen I had to hold the carb so it would line up with the carb boot right and tighten it with the other hand while I held it.

http://philipstewart.zenfolio.com
Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM

id like a permanent easy fix, because im still trying to get it jetted right, so the carb has to come on and off a few more times before i get it set, thats why im leaning towards a reed block spacer.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sub frame may be bent, causing the misalignment.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:54 AM

that was considered, but the airbox boot itself does not seem to match up with the carb, like it got something on it and deformed it. im thinkin about getting a new subframe and airbox too, but im hoping to avoid that for now...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM

If you just want to move the reed valve closer to the airbox you could always try stacking a couple of home-made gaskets(some thick ones from an auto parts store and smear some Yama bond #4 between them) between the cases and reed block. It certainly isn't the cure, a new reed intake boot perhaps?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:17 PM

i was thinkin if i could find a longer boot that might work, but im starting to lean more towards making/buying a spacer, because that would move the reed block back into alignment with the carb and give me enough length to make it fit. im gunna start a new thread on reeds, cus to be honest, besides the basic function of them i know next to nothing about reeds.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Loosen the airbox clamp on the subframe and then install and reclamp. It is possible that the airbox shifted a little