Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Need some help on 2 stroke of 4 stroke..

So I know the debate, of 4 stroke vs 2 stroke and I am not trying to get that heated up... What I am trying to do is find out since I am on a GASGAS is there a difference of a 2 stroke honda vs a 2 stroke gasgas ec 250 2010?

I ask this as I only trail ride with friends and sometimes race in TORO or TCCRA. Every ride or race I am constantly barraged with you would be better off of a 450 4 stroke.. The power is smoother, there is no HIT, and so forth and so on..

I have only ridden/raced a 2004 gasgas 300 and a 2010 3c 250 gasgas..

I had thought I had read once that the gearing on the gasgas was spaced out more and rode like a 450 4 stroke??

THoughts?

If it helps I am 6'1 230...

Old 01-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

There are a lot of variables to consider, but generally a 2T thats been set up for enduro is much more linear than an MX orientated bike.

Port timing, port sizes, ignition and timing, flywheel weight, and then you have gearbox differences too. A 2T thats orientated towards top end HP will be very different to one thats set up for usable power characteristics.

In saying that though, they still feel very different to a 450F. Verry different. They both have pro's and con's but I personally think a 450F would beat me up and wear me out much faster. The weight, the inertia, engine braking, and arm pulling torque everywhere can be a pain in the tight stuff, but also offers benefits in the open faster areas. Why not throw a leg over one of their bikes and see what you think?

In the end, in most tighter terrain, if racing, we'd all probably be hard to use a 250F to its fullest extent and turn fastest laps on one because of it. Less is often more, but if riding for fun, go with the bike that gives the biggest grin!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM

I had a 450R Honda and it was fun in open fields, power lines and on the MX track. The FIRST time I took that thing into tight woods I was thinking, boy did I bring the wrong bike for this. It overheated and didn't like going slow at all. I added a Rekluse Pro, Water Weter, exhaust, and a re-jet. It all made it better but it was still a MX bike. My 2010 GG 300 could lugg or rip and was way way easier to ride when doing either. IMHO a 450F is best used by pro's which I am not. I couldn't imagine racing one through the woods !
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 PM

I trail ride and slab it to trails. 4-Stroke works the best for obvious reasons. It also doe snot need premix so a little easier to plan. I can tell with the GG there will be a little more planning (in time I hope to alleviate that if someone does a Safari big shrouded tank for the 2012+ models).

In CO, our trails are long and can be connected by roads, graded roads, and forest roads/trails. So loops are big. Trail riding is what I like, not to interested in going around a course with knowns, I like unknowns like trees being down or erosion changed the trail...its always different.

Wish I could give more, but I just picked up the bike today and with cold weather doubt I ride other then down the street...LOL Oh and I ride single track on my beast of a XR650R *shrug*
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 AM

The 250 or 300 will be a better off-road tool than the 450 MXers, and more race-worthy than a 450 off-roader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar13 View Post
is there a difference of a 2 stroke honda vs a 2 stroke gasgas ec 250 2010? Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

I ask this as I only trail ride with friends and sometimes race in TORO or TCCRA. Every ride or race I am constantly barraged with you would be better off of a 450 4 stroke.. The power is smoother, there is no HIT, and so forth and so on.. Maybe a 450X or WR450, but certainly not a MX bike

I have only ridden/raced a 2004 gasgas 300 and a 2010 3c 250 gasgas..

Not sure what a 3c 250 is, but it sounds like you've already experienced the GasGas power ...

I had thought I had read once that the gearing on the gasgas was spaced out more and rode like a 450 4 stroke?? Jakobi gave the text book answer, I'll just say that its the tool that was designed for the job ...

THoughts?

If it helps I am 6'1 230... There's more than enough juice, even in a 250
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Usually an off road specific bike, whether two, or four stroke is better for trails, but off road specific 450's are generally pigs.

450 MXers have tiny gas tanks and some have four speed transmissions. Yuck.

Hard to go wrong with a 250 or 300 for ultimate versatility. I've never thought premixing fuel was a big deal.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-10-2013, 01:11 AM

I've not done it myself, but I've heard of guys riding trails with known gas, filling the tank from a pump and then adding a shot glass or two of oil to the tank. Somebody, somewhere even made a cool little chart to take in the tool bag to ensure the proper proportions.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

I do it every week. Take my baby bottle with 210ml of oil in it. Pull up at the pump, turn the fuuel tap off, fill the tank to the nearest litre or half, calculate the oil, and top the tank off. Slosh it around some. No issues in 6000kms.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've not done it myself, but I've heard of guys riding trails with known gas, filling the tank from a pump and then adding a shot glass or two of oil to the tank.
My wife has done it like that for 20+ years, touring Europe and commuting on her RD350YPVS. When new, it obviously had an oil tank and an oil pump, but those are long gone...

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 AM

As for the two vs four debate, I feel that my ec200 is a good compromise with its oversize exhaust valve cover and fmf gnarly pipe. It doesn't hit like a MXer, quite linear and sufficient power for my use. Riding one of my sons' ec300s in the woods is just scaring, as would a 450F be. I am old and slow, so I neither want or am able to use that much power.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc