Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:40 AM

Well, with Kelowna and the Okanagan Valley being major tourist destinations (the lakes, the wineries, skiing, etc.) there's no shortage of hotels, motels, B&Bs, and campsites. So finding places to stay shouldn't be a problem. And there's plenty of places to eat (or buy/cook).

I'm sure you'd all like to stay and ride for as long as your schedules would allow. One possible plan would be to meet in Kelowna and ride Bear Creek (which I never have), and then work our way down to my area Summerland/Penticton (which is on the way back to the USA border or the Crows Nest Back to Trail (?)). I work from home so it's no problem to take off days during the week to ride (say, Monday, Tuesday). One thing to consider; I'm sure we'd find no other bikes on the hundreds of miles of trials accessible from my house mid week. Fully loaded logging trucks on the few connecting 'roads" may be another thing.

And Summerland/Penticton have the same amenities as does Kelowna. I've got plenty of floor/yard/garage space as well.

For thought: Bring your GPSs if you've got one. We could upload some of the known trials, and this would allow the "group" to safely split into different riding skills (read another way: I don't want my intermediate skills holding back the fast guys who came all this way to ride hard and fast ).

Too much "planning" may take the fun away from this get together. But I'll do whatever I can.

I can also talk with Mike Fetterer of our club (he also races GG) and Brian Dingwall (owner of the local GG/Husaberg shop); I'm sure they'll have plenty of suggestions for having a good time in the area. Maybe demos too?

This will be a hoot.

Dale

Old 04-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Ya they have a couple 2t gas-gasses in the shop, no FSE's though. They sell a lot of bergs too.

Also if riding logging roads during the week might want to look into a radio and listen for the trucks calling kilometers..tough to stay safe on those roads! haha.

I'm definitely in for the kelowna portion though (can't get work days off, too busy in the radio/communications tech field right now) but the bear creek riding is good fun. Can ride to the top and see all the fancy radio towers on Bluegrouse mountain (the mountain bear creek riding area is centered around) . We even own a couple of those towers!

I am also an intermediate rider at best..I punish myself mercilessly when riding but just dont have the skill to keep up with a B or A rider. So I'm definitely in with that group!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:51 AM

I like your ideas. I know Mike and Brian are fast (I've spent many a race trying to chase Mike down) so if one of them was interested in leading the fast group that would be great. I'll have to see on getting time off work since I'll be taking 2-4 weeks off for the ISDE this year. I may only be able to make it for the weekend.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Actually the reference to "logging trucks" was only meant to suggest that they're probably the only activity you might see in the bush mid-week. I have no desires or plans to actually ride on the logging roads. We should be able to get the guys onto reserve without any road riding (other than maybe crossing them). Some may even want to pack gas for the day's adventure.

With this trip in mind I'll ask around this season for suggestions for long/fun loops requiring a mixture of skills. Also, as was suggested, I'll try to find some high-end-skills group leaders too.

Dale
Old 04-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'm thinking about dragging my travel trailer up. It'll cost a bit more for fuel but like the idea of camping somewhere. If the weather doesnt change here preety soon i'm gonna hook on and go now. Its snowing and blowing as i sit here and these are this weeks temps to look forward to.
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday

High: 38 °F
Low: 15 °F
High: 43 °F
Low: 24 °F
High: 53 °F
Low: 36 °F
High: 56 °F
Low: 27 °F
High: 53 °F
Low: 21 °F
Old 04-21-2008, 01:48 PM

We've been getting snowed on up here. The riding is great (as long as we stay at low elevations) but it gets annoying when you can't see 3 feet in front of you in a whiteout.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 PM

I would like to attend. I also would be dragging a travel trailer, and am extending the offer to Jeff Dunham to hitch a ride with me and my brother in law.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I would like to attend. I also would be dragging a travel trailer, and am extending the offer to Jeff Dunham to hitch a ride with me and my brother in law.
Thanks Mike!

jeff
Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 PM

Jeff,

Get your pal Les to come. This is shaping up to be a memorable weekend, It will be fun to put faces to names and ride BC!

Paul B
Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Just an update of who's possibly coming:
me, d2w, 2strokes4life, Nick, jostby, cladoo, REVERUP, PEB, anathema, roostafish, Jeff and maybe Les, Cactusreid?

Plus Mike Fetterer and Brian Dingwall will hopefully be there.

I get back home on September 22nd from my adventure in Europe so this should work out perfect.