Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:15 AM

Default New GasGas EC250 owner (help me identify year)

Last weekend Sarah and I were invited out to Highland Park Resort by a friend of ours that we did the TAT with earlier this year. He knew neither one of us had proper dirt bikes, but he said he had plenty for us to ride. Him and his son came out and between the 3 of us, we shared a 2001 GasGas 250 and a 1993 Husky 250 & 360. For Sarah, he brought this bike he calls the H4S which is really an older Honda CR80 Expert (Big wheel) with a transplanted Honda 125cc engine. So basically you get a very small and light weight bike with awesome suspension and a very docile and easy to ride 4 stroke motor. Sarah was in heaven and for the first time really showed a true interest in continuing to dirt ride. He also had a KX100 there, but I never could convince her to try the 2 stroke motor. She was very happy on the docile 4 stroke and stuck to it all day. We both had a blast and decided we needed a little reward for our tight budget we've been running. We discussed it and decided a cheap set of dirt bikes to keep us busy over the winter would do the trick, so today we went on the hunt. I definitely don't need anything super nice, so I was just after a cheap 2 stroke to satisfy me and I would be happy.

In the past I've owned an '01 KTM 300exc, '01 520 exc, '99 KDX220 (all of 2 hrs before the motor blew), 2 different KLX650R's and a DRZ400E. I do currently have a 1st gen KLR650 in the garage and I've had it at HP, but its no fun there and too big and way too heavy. I'm hanging onto it though for our next section of the TAT next summer. OK, UT, CO coming up!

We went out looking today for both of us. We had 2 different TTR125L's and a DRZ125L's to look at for Sarah, but unfortunately 2 of them were just way too beat up and trashed even for our liking and the 3rd TTR had a transmission problem with 1st gear that we didn't want to tackle, so we still got to find her something.

I pretty much had my heart set on a 2001 GasGas 250 that was listed for a very reasonable price on the other side of Atl. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago, I would have probably not even considered a GasGas, but man GasGas did their homework and I had an awesome time on Tom's GasGas 250 last weekend. For some reason, I just clicked with the bike too, so that helped a lot to convince me. The guy had it listed as an '01, but I think after researching it, it's really a 2000 since they made some changes for '01 including clear coating the plastics to help prevent fading and adding an airbox door which mine does not have. This one had the faded plastic issue, but no biggie as the price was right.

She's not very pretty since he tried to paint over the faded red plastics with black paint and its coming through, but she runs great and that's all I care about. The fender is brand new and hence the reason its actually red. I guess if I really wanted, I could get new plastics for it. It has been set up for a 220lb guy, so that will be perfect for me! It has lots of new bearings and bushings all the way around, new tires, handle bar risers, starts easy, runs good, yada, yada.

I'm looking forward to going to play on it.

Last edited by BlueLghtning; 12-21-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 AM

(Holy cow only 4 pics per post! )

Nice new tires

Fatty bars on risers

Nice tall seat for my lanky butt!

Can't wait to see how the suspension works for me!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 AM

So, what year do you think I have? I strongly doubt it's a 2001 model.

Is it a 2000 maybe?

Last edited by BlueLghtning; 12-21-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Site Sponsor

Default bike identification

It appears you have a year 2000 machine. In 2001 GG went to a left side airbox access cover which you do not have. Also, your tank shroud has one screw accessable without removing the seat. GG went to this style of shroud starting in 2000. Bikes prior to 2000 had two screw tabs that went into the gas tank but both were placed under the seat.

If you wanted to send me a private email with the VIN # off the steering stem I could help you confirm year and model.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM

Whatever year it is welcome to the group. I just got an EC250 myself and while I've only spent 45 minutes on it I do like it a lot and I say that after wanting a 300. If a 300 has more I wouldn't know what to do with it. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people here with a lot of info. Enjoy your GasGas
Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
It appears you have a year 2000 machine. In 2001 GG went to a left side airbox access cover which you do not have. Also, your tank shroud has one screw accessable without removing the seat. GG went to this style of shroud starting in 2000. Bikes prior to 2000 had two screw tabs that went into the gas tank but both were placed under the seat.

If you wanted to send me a private email with the VIN # off the steering stem I could help you confirm year and model.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the info. When I get a chance, I'll PM you the VIN# and have you check for sure so I know what model I have when I need parts.

Now, lets touch on plastics. Honestly the plastics aren't really bothering me, but I wouldn't mind eventually finding some to replace these, especially if I ever sell it.

So, are plastics available? If they changed the radiator shrouds in 2000, then obviously earlier wouldn't work. I'm also guessing since they changed the airbox access starting in 2001, that the number plates from later bikes wouldn't work either? Are plastics from the 200, 250, & 300 all the same? How about different models like the MC vs EC?

So, would radiator shrouds from 2000 on to ? work till the changed them?
I've read the KX plastics and rear fender can be made to work, but I think that was 2001 and later bikes? this guy mentioned he tried KX plastics and the only thing that fit was the front fender. He sold off the rest of the plastics.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:57 PM

I have a set of red 2003 shrouds that look new from 4feet away (both plastics and graphics are in near perfect shape). They fit perfectly on my 2001 gasser. I also have a two red front fenders - one is brand new (still in the bag) and the other has good color and no cracks but lots of scratches.
$85 for the shrouds and new fender, $68 for the shrouds and the used fender. Shipping would be actual cost from 38506 (Cookeville, TN). Better yet since you're so close just come up and ride with me I'll put on some good technical trails. - Ken
Old 11-22-2009, 01:13 PM

I would try to loosen that black paint with a hair dryer or heat gun then remove it with steel wool. Get some single 0, double 0, and four 0 steel wool at a hardware store and start with the finest that will take the paint off then keep going finer. Don't work in any one area too long because the plastic will heat up from the friction and not sand well. After you finish with the four 0 steel wool clean well, dry thoroughly, and apply 3-4 coats of Mop and Glow to restore shine.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:22 AM

So, I'm bumping this back to the top as I'm a bit confused again on the year.

Like most of you, I thought I had a 2000 model (EC maybe) due to the plastics, but I found this thread on here that broke down the VIN.

Here's that post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
VTRXC200011299002

The first letter should be a V (not U). It indicates foreign made in Spain. The "XC" indicates it was the XC (dealer edition) version made for USA with the lighter MC ignition. The "200" is the engine size. The "1" in the 10th digit means it is a 2001 model.

So, you have a 2001 GasGas XC200.
So in comparison, here is my VIN - VTRXC25001199007 -

If I follow the logic above, that means I have a 2001 GasGas XC250.

So now you can see why I'm confused? All the plastics point to a 2000 model, but the VIN clearly states its an 01 model?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:05 AM

ill post here instead of starting a new thread,

my vin goes like this VTREC1200H1060***
so the year of my bike is 'H'

what the ...?