Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 PM

Default EC 300 vs. KTM XC-W

Hey everyone, I am a newbie, not yet a GasGas owner, but very intrigued! I was interested if anyone out there has compared a EC300 to KTM's 300 XC-w? I am about to purchase the Gasser but just trying to solidify my position before I lay down the cash. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks, Tony

Old 04-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Here are my thoughts after owning both a KTM and a Gas Gas.

The gasers handle far better than the KTM's do. They turn in great and the linkage suspension absorbs a lot of the hard bumps. The power delivery is smooth and forgiving.

The KTM seemed to have a bit more power which can be scary at times. I did not like the suspension on the KTM. It kind of reminded me of riding my sportbike around.

All in all they are both great bikes but I will not own another KTM. The gaser in my opinion is a far better bike overall. And anybody that tells you that it is hard to get parts for the Gasers have no idea what they are talking about.

Boom
Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Ok, I have owned '00,'04 and '06 KTM 200's and have alot of experience with that brand. On the flip side I have owned a '04 GG 200de and now a '05 GG 250de. From initial reaction to both bikes the KTM has a higher level of consistency and build quality and is MUCH easier to work on. The GG does handle better and has better suspension. In the motor dept it depends on what you like. I basically sold my '04 GG 200 because it had nowhere near the power especially on the bottom end. My '05 250 seems to be very respectable in that dept. from what little seat time I do have.

I guess the only other thing to think about is the aftermarket, the GG is somewhat limited, but all the necessary things are available. There are plenty of good GG dealers and parts in my experience have not been a problem. Resale is the only other big hitter with the GG. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:21 PM

I took a chance on a 04' GG de250 without ever riding one, Jim Cook and the guys on the Smackover board made it sound like these bikes were the best thing on two wheels, now I would have to say I agree. Right now I am in the middle of restoring my bike to like new condition, it did'nt need much but it was cold and I was bored. Before I bought the GG I rode several ktm's and was dead set on a 200 exc, even though each bike has there good and bad points the first rock garden you ride though on a GG will let you know you made the right decision.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:41 PM

I am coming off an 03 ktm 200exc and I have had my 06 gg ec250 for about
a month now, 4 rides. Everything in the above posts pretty much is how I see it with the exception of the "easier to work on the ktm". I have found that there is no difference in the maintenance. Both are reliable rides.
I do like the manuals that come with the ktm but from what I have read on
ktmtalk, the new manuals have not been updated to the new bikes and there is a lot of stuff that is different or does not apply.

I was thinking seriously about an 07 ktm 250xcw but after reading about all
the problems with the new gas cap and the fact that I was not happy with
the linkless rear suspension, I decided to look at the GG's and I am really glad I did.

On the 300 that you are getting, I believe the lower power output compared to the KTM 300 would not really be noticeable but actually make the GG more manageable. There are very few people who can actually use all the power that a 300 puts out anyway.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:37 AM

thanks to everyone who has responded so far, the info is great and it is nice to see unbiased reports. I have another question if anyone has an opinion! How much difference power-wise is there between a 250 and the 300? I recently found a demo 250 that is a little more affordable, but I have some pretty long, nasty hills that boil my 450(KX-F) and immediatley thought I needed the 300. Thanks again. Tony

Ride, Shoot Straight, Speak the Truth
Old 04-08-2007, 09:07 AM

The 250 spins up quicker than a 300 but, you can lug the 300 around and it has the torque of a 4 stroke. JMO.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't know if this holds true with GG, but with the KTM the 300's actually run a bit hotter. I doubt the the 250 would be that much if any of a disadvantage on the hill climbs. From my experience it is more just the torque and the power delivery.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:38 PM

One of the reasons your KXF boils is that the bike is designed for mx use and was meant to have a fair amount of air flow to keep things cool; my 02 CRF450 was the same way; sold it and bought an 06 EC300 and have yet to boil it. It has large rads and holds a lot of coolant; way more than my CRF.
As for climbing, 250 or 300 you'll have more than enough power. A few of our crew have GG 200's and they have surprised me with their hill climbing antics.
They are a little different to work on than say Honda, of which I'm used to, but it has some features that definitly make them very easy to maintain and very easy to jet or adjust suspension which by the way is awesome! A steering damper would be nice; it can get kinda nervous at high speeds.
I would say give it a try; I don't regret buying mine and plan on buying another one down the road.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Here's my take...
The GG 250 is a great around bike and should not be overlooked. The 300 would be better if you like to short shift and lug around more. It also helps if you're in the wrong gear by accident and need the extra torque to pull you through mud or sand.

The suspension on GG is better out-of-box, but the KTM's can be just a good if reworked by a good tuner. My 200EXC has front and rear reworked by MX-Tech. It is very nice with no complaints... just as good as my old XC250. I rode my friends 250EXC and it was very harsh and rode like crap. Suspension should not be the deal-breaker on a bike purchase... it can easily be reworked.

KTM's are slightly easier to work on in my opinion. All bolts have common heads and they typically thread into threaded inserts. This lets you unbolt things quickly with a single wrench. Whereas, the GG makes you juggle two wrenches (such as removing the silencer). Not a big deal, but a slightly easier maintenance task.

The KTM has large aftermarket support with multiple brands to choose from. The GG has LTR for most key items and Flatland, Eline, etc.. for some of the other guards. Also, some parts crossover onto GG's, so you should be easily covered with any aftermarket item... just slightly fewer options available.

Parts available is excellent on either brand. I order everything by phone or online. A local dealer is not needed... the internet makes anywhere in the world your local dealer.

Good luck!