Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM

I'm finding the Sachs kit straight out of the box to be pretty good, and they are not even close to being broken in yet. Part of the reason for going Sachs was the ability to add the TTX inserts, but I'm not sure I'll ever need it. Step 1 will be to tune these for whatever they need after they get a good breaking in.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 AM

I hear what your saying GMP, i probably was a bit harsh with my criticism of the shivers, obviously alot of you have got them to work well.

I don't think i could have been any more honest with either tuner about my abilities and what i wanted, problem was neither were local so all communication was via phone,email and notes i sent with the forks in the post.

I guess a lot of my frustration was due to the logistics of getting them back to the tuners for further tweaking, tuner#1 i never bothered contacting again, tuner #2 said package them up and send them back and we'll see what we can do, but i never bothered.

Rather than be possibly disappointed again, i sold the '05 and bought the nambo, which is pretty good straight out of the box.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:27 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

2010 EC300 Sach both ends.
A bit off topic now.
Once broken in I loved my forks.Then found I was constantly fiddeling with them trying to get rid of a harsh ride.I never made the connection that this happened after a fairly good crash.The steering stoppers were not set out far enough & I found a small dent in the fork from the frame.After a discussion with a riding buddy about 2 nasty down hill experiences(still recovering from the last) he said the dent may be an issue.Took the caps off last night & dropped the bike down,crap,it went half way down & bound up.
New outer tube I guess.This is going to be expensive!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 AM

It may be as simple as putting the bike on a stand, loosening the clamp bolts and axel, wiggle the front end a little and re-tightening. Its common in a hard fall for the forks to tweak or shift slightly. We had to do this on the trail on several occasions.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:47 PM

Raced MX with the daughter yesterday and the Shacks forks ohlins shock combo performed very nice again. Hard pack track this time with a few soft spots and some really big jumps. Of course I'm really old to be doing the big air jumps and lack some jump commitment. There fore I end up taking some big landing face hits. Sure the suspension bottomed, but it was very controlled and never harsh at all. And of course towards the end of the day when it starts getting choppy from all those 4 strokes dragging their back wheel, the gasser it right at home soaking it all up. Man I love modern dirt bike suspension!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
It may be as simple as putting the bike on a stand, loosening the clamp bolts and axel, wiggle the front end a little and re-tightening. Its common in a hard fall for the forks to tweak or shift slightly. We had to do this on the trail on several occasions.
With some hope & optimism I removed the fork & tried it,same binding half way.Crushed & defeated.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Bummer. What scares me most about owning a Gasgas in NZ, apart from zero re-sale value, is the lack of parts support. I guess you have get on the net and organise a replacement yourself - let us know how you get on.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:24 PM

You guys make it sound like the gasgas parts truck rolls through once a year with 3 gaskets and an air filter then hes gone for another year. Iv had no issues getting anything from gasgas/triumph recently. All of it was for my 125, which is the oddball of the gg family.
BTW, I imagine it will be hard to get, but I doubt you could get a fork leg for a jappa either, ill check availability at work and compare.
Taken it to a suspension tuner to look at? or called to see what they reckon about similar damage.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
You guys make it sound like the gasgas parts truck rolls through once a year with 3 gaskets and an air filter then hes gone for another year. Iv had no issues getting anything from gasgas/triumph recently. All of it was for my 125, which is the oddball of the gg family.
BTW, I imagine it will be hard to get, but I doubt you could get a fork leg for a jappa either, ill check availability at work and compare.
Taken it to a suspension tuner to look at? or called to see what they reckon about similar damage.
Well, I know for a fact that not one of the 3 gaskets that truck had was a .5ml base gasket for a 250. Guess I'll have to wait until next year.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
Bummer. What scares me most about owning a Gasgas in NZ, apart from zero re-sale value, is the lack of parts support. I guess you have get on the net and organise a replacement yourself - let us know how you get on.
Approx. 3 weeks ex. factory.Not too bad.Price was what I expected,first born child & a left testicle.So pretty happy all round.Suspension expert had a look to confirm it wasn't repairable,internals are all ok though!