Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:29 PM

Default top end install help!!!!

Anyone have a suggestion for installing the cylinder head o-rings?
They keep popping out of their grooves..
Can you tell it's been a while since I did a top end!!!????

Also...the gasket set came with 2 sets of o-rings...one slightly smaller diameter than the other...

any suggestions for finding documentation of tips for doing this top end would be helpful.. (had a small beveled washer which i thought went over the right side power valve stud-realized that it dropped off of the power valve stud..think i fell when i removed the power valve plate.)
thanks!
rich

Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 PM

rich,

Coat the o-rings with a light coat of grease between your fingers. Lay them in the grooves and run your finger around a few times, they should stay. Put the head on carefully, and twist back and forth with a little downward pressure. It should feel smooth if the o-rings remained in place(which they usually do).

Not knowing what gasket kit you have, Id say you possibly have o-rings for both a 250 and 300. They should take a VERY light stretch, barely any, to fit in the grooves. If you have extreme difficulty you may have the wrong o-rings.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:36 PM

thanks!
i compared the two sets and figured that the kit covered a couple different engine sizes... only markings were 2005-2006. Yep...there were two in the pack that would be a stretch to get on..
But, I got the larger of the two sets on after some messing around and they felt smooth.

I figure I have the power valve plate on correctly...(the little arm comes up into the power valve area and connects to the plate on the threaded post while it's on the left of the pivot point). In this position I can look up into the exhaust port and see the power valve and ports closed up.

thanks!

rich
****** there was a little sort of thickish washer that was beveled on both sides.. I hope it rests behind the power valve plate(sort of on the threaded axle that goes through the pwer valve bearings.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:11 PM

rich,

Download the parts manual for your bike from the GasGas Spain site. The PDF is very good as far as drawings go. I think what you are refering to is part #36(in my '03 manual), the spacer/washer that goes between the PV bearing and the plate. Beveled edge goes up, plate side. Loctite the M5 bolt that holds the plate on, and use a fresh M5 nyloc nut on the arm stud.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I think what you are refering to is part #36(in my '03 manual), the spacer/washer that goes between the PV bearing and the plate. Beveled edge goes up, plate side. Loctite the M5 bolt that holds the plate on, and use a fresh M5 nyloc nut on the arm stud.
yep.... part #36 was the beveled washer i was wondering about... It must have fallen when i pulled the plate off. I thought it was some sort of stud spacer until I tried to put the top end back on. It was clear it didn't go where I thought it did. Got a better idea of where it went after i found the parts .pdf.
Sorry for the stupid questions! One more though...
I'm still wondering if I have the plate positioned correctly.. If I'm looking directly into the hole(where the M5 bolt goes into), the flat side of the post that the plate goes onto is flat on the right hand side. Should the plate look like the .pdf also? I guess i'm wondering if the .pdf reflects the position of the plate at rest or do I have to pull the lever up to that position thus putting some spring or tension on the power valve. I'll look at it again to see the position of the flapper at both positions.
THanks again Glenn... It's been a while since I've done this! And the first for my GG.
rich

Last edited by rdbandkab; 01-06-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:44 AM

found this pic.. THis looks like how mine "wants" to be put back...... And so it shall be.... Thanks again for helping...
Old 01-07-2007, 03:28 PM

that last pic did the trick... Did a nice ride today and she ran like a champ!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
rich,

Download the parts manual for your bike from the GasGas Spain site. The PDF is very good as far as drawings go. I think what you are refering to is part #36(in my '03 manual), the spacer/washer that goes between the PV bearing and the plate. Beveled edge goes up, plate side. Loctite the M5 bolt that holds the plate on, and use a fresh M5 nyloc nut on the arm stud.
GMP and Jeffd,

It think that making web sites and PDF links on this site would be a great idea. It could be called parts diagrams links or something like that...?????

Ron
Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBD View Post
GMP and Jeffd,

It think that making web sites and PDF links on this site would be a great idea. It could be called parts diagrams links or something like that...?????

Ron
+1 here on that!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM

I'm getting ready to do my top end and it will be a first for me as well. Was wondering what your bike is and what piston you went with(brand, size A,B,C,etc.).

I'm riding an 05' EC300 with an 'A' cylinder, original top end and 2000mi's on her.