Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:05 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default buddy riding v riding solo

was reading a post that got me thinking about this,initially from a safety aspect as an employer with staff on bikes/atv.but then as a rider(13ec200r)-firstly must stress that it is always ultimately safer in numbers,BUT when I ride by myself (70-80%)I am more likely to-
-usually ride a little more within my limits on faster sections-usually...
-not distracted watching others
-no dust/gravel in face
-treat th ride more 'trials' ie slower and technical,skills
-pick ur moments to go faster
-far more likely to stop and take time to adjust,tune carb,susp,or drain airbox/case if drowned
-don't get halfway up a climb and find buddy sunny side up blocking th path
-must get myself and bike out in 1 piece or im walking home
-nobody sees me when I get it wrong(or right)
-testicles don't swell x2 and make me ride harder and faster?
-will stop for a wiz if I want

when I ride with others Im more likely to
-push th limits,crank it up
-watch others at times instead of th trail
-treat th ride more 'race'
-less likely to stop and tweak,ie abuse it now,fix it later
-help/fix/pickup/waitfor/ others
-collision with other rider poss
-can bum a lift if nec tho
-can ride around said buddy on way to top of hill!
-everybody sees when u get it wrong(or right)
-testicles swell x2 and everyone rides faster and harder!
-only stop for a wiz if absolutely nec

bit of a pickle-solo seems safer until u screw up?
buddy riding-safer after u screw up?

Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM

As much as I love riding and as hard as it is at times to find a riding buddy able to go, I don't ride by myself.

I've got too much to lose by getting it wrong out in the woods. Most places we ride don't have cell service and things could be dire by the time help arrived if anybody even knew you needed it.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 07-21-2014, 11:35 AM

A little different I guess,most of my riding is on my own land(1200ha of medium to steep hills/gullys) or neighbours and my wife/employees usually have a rough idea where I am headed and would be missed,i carry cell,but signal is scratchy.wasnt sayin solo was safer,just musing really on th differences,pros and cons.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Obviously... we should all have a riding buddy BUT...if I had to reply on someone else just for me to have fun, then I would have quit riding years ago. That is my personal choice. I've been hauled out of the woods by buddies...and I've also been out there by myself when things went wrong.

Most recently Jan 2013. Unconscious for 2 hours, shattered collarbone (3rd time and required surgery), #2&3 ribs behind the heart broken, and a cracked femur ball joint. Pretty bad 'huh? Even more so...the crash happened on my own grass track. It could have been allot worse, and had it been...I was all alone.

Food for thought.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:11 PM

ouch,been thr,flipped my farmquad a few years ago broke 2 ribs,cracked 3,ko'd,waited an hour or so for assist so im aware of th risks of solo,but yeah if I waited to ride only with others,id hardly get to ride.im happy to ride with a larger margin when solo and if ur riding tight,technical stuff at lower speeds,th risk is pretty minimal that u aren't going to be able to pick it back up and limp home in my opinion.tailor ur riding to the conditions I guess,and be prepared to walk!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Default Buddy please

Happened 2 months ago, fast downhill section got cross-rutted, then the lights went out. Next thing I remember, there's an EMT cutting my shirt off and putting a collar on me! Luckily I was riding with my son, daughter and son-in-law. No serious damage just a mild concision and road rash on my shoulder and back. Oh yea, did I mention I was on my bicycle! I learned my lesson no more solo!
Custom billet bits
Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Looking back since 1974 when this old man first started a GTMX 80 and went thru the gears....I count the times I was injured racing vs. goofing off and guess what? Nobody expects to break their neck in the shower but that's when most accidents happen...when your in a comfortable environment. Same goes for trail riding.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Yes this one has caused some interesting debate amongst my riding buddies. I'm lucky in that there is a dedicated group of us so generally when I want to go I can find a like minded individual. But if I can't, I often still go. My riding buddies would not and think I'm taking too big of a risk. The odd time when I do go by myself I ride easier spots (well I guess that is debatable as it depends on ones definition of easy) and ride slower (that is a for sure). Still taking a risk as lots of our riding is outside of cell range. I do always tell one of them where I am going just in case. My preference is to ride with others though. Frankly I find it more fun providing everyone is roughly the same skill level. Hard to capture bloopers on camera when you are by yourself......
Old 07-21-2014, 02:36 PM

If I only rode with friends, I'd ride...very rarely. In my mind, riding alone is no more dangerous than my forays to photograph mountain goats, backcountry solo hunts/hikes, or whatever I'm doing...by myself. I've been second guessed by more than one person(s). I'm perfectly comfortable with my personal abilities & shortcomings. I'll keep riding solo, as long as there's noone available to go with.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:46 PM

When I wanna go ridin, I go ridin. If I waited ... well, I'd just be waitin. Half these guys are so fast, they're gonna get u hurt. The others are still sore from their last prostate exam. Riding alone I'm focused and at my pace. I let the warden know where im goin and when I should be calling.
Been workin for 30 years. Even when theres a problem.