Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 PM

Default hanguards that will actually fit? or change the levers?

my bars have been shortened and this is causing me a problem. i bought it with short bars, and at the time put no thought as to how the handguards were positioned. my girlfriend noticed that they were positioned level, and i had thought nothing of it, but she said that i should angle them down, so that if i ever end up going over the handlebars (and i probably will), i wouldnt get my fingers caught in them. problem is that when i tried to do so, i found that my levers hit the guards and wouldnt let them fall back as far as they were supposed to. so i guess what im looking for is a model of handguards that offer lots of space width wise, or your opinion as to wether or not i should get shorty levers.
Thanks!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
my bars have been shortened and this is causing me a problem. i bought it with short bars, and at the time put no thought as to how the handguards were positioned. my girlfriend noticed that they were positioned level, and i had thought nothing of it, but she said that i should angle them down, so that if i ever end up going over the handlebars (and i probably will), i wouldnt get my fingers caught in them. problem is that when i tried to do so, i found that my levers hit the guards and wouldnt let them fall back as far as they were supposed to. so i guess what im looking for is a model of handguards that offer lots of space width wise, or your opinion as to wether or not i should get shorty levers.
Thanks!
Have you tried moving the lever mount towards the centre of the bars?Remember to put some teflon tape under the mounting bracket.
Had a similar problem & got some wirtz short levers.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 PM

ya know, i never thought of that, but i think that the mounts are too close to the bend, and wouldnt sit right. and with your short levers do you get more arm fatigue because your only using two fingers?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 PM

My short levers work great.The clutch pull is so light it makes no difference,same with the brake.With the standard levers I had them mounted as far as I could to centre,as you say ,up to the bend.But I got annoyed with my outside fingers getting in the way when clutching,hence the short levers.They did have very little clearence from the UFO guards I use.I find them nice to use anyway.The Wirtz levers have rubber pads on them as well, in a range of colours.uhhh,ahhhh how gay.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:15 PM

alright thanks! and ya i had moose handguards, and they SUCK. like they worked ok, but moose put the plastic roost deflectors on the INSIDE of the bar. I. E. when you lay the bike over, the screws that hold the plastic to the bar pull through the holes and voilais, plastic useless. and they way the bars were bent they catch the end of my levers. shorty levers sound good to me, thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg3 View Post
Have you tried moving the lever mount towards the centre of the bars?Remember to put some teflon tape under the mounting bracket.
Had a similar problem & got some wirtz short levers.
What does the teflon tape do?

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 PM

I use these Moose Competition handguards.

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=7258

They come in 2 sizes and are VERY flexable for crashing/safety and should fit the Moose or Enduro Engineering hand guards easily. Very reasonably priced as well and in many color choices.

You have the older style guards that mount on the inside and are a PIA I know (been there done that). With ANY protector that bolts to the aluminum guard use oversize washers to prevent plastic pull through. The stock wimpy washers don't cut it.

Personally I try to resist cutting the ball of the end of the lever if possible but it's the cheapest choice for you right now. I use a handlebar that the levers can be pushed way in without hitting the bend but since you on a real budget cutting them might be the best for now along with new and better shields.

Levers should be angled down so you can still comfortably use them while standing (which you should do allot BTW). Teflon tape under the lever perch allows the lever assy to more easily spin on the bar when (not if) you crash
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 AM

i have found sitting to b extremely uncomfortable so ill spend most of my time on my feet anyway. and i wouldnt mind paying 30 bucks for a shorty, as cutting and grinding arnt my strong points. i was just hoping that maybe somebody knew of a set that were cheaper.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM

I had the same problem when i cut a 1/2" off of both ends of my bars to return to stock width after adding Acerbis hand guards. The Gas Gas trials clutch lever fits perfectly and to tell you the truth , i didn't notice any difference in the pull. The brake had no clearance issues , so no change. Shortening the bars was a great move , i watch my riding buds wiggle between trees and sometimes i can ride straight thru

Out on the Trails on Vancouver Island , BC

Steve
Old 02-22-2010, 08:40 PM

my bars are shorter by 3 inches from stock. i tried to move the levers closer to center tonight, and found that i couldnt fit the clamp for the handguard mount. well, guess ill just dish out the 40 bucks and get nice shiny new shorty levers and see how that works, though with my night going the way it is, it probably still will not work.