GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-22-2015, 05:41 PM
nmrider's Avatar
nmrider nmrider is offline
Gold Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Rio Rancho NM
Posts: 71
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
What other bikes have you had that you can compare it to? I have ridden 250 mx bikes converted to off road for 25 years so we likely have some overlap.
I have a 2002 250 Gasser, I also had a 2008 300 and a 2012 300 I have had many other bikes through the years too many to list.


Reply With Quote


  #22  
Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 PM
celler celler is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrider View Post
I have a 2002 250 Gasser, I also had a 2008 300 and a 2012 300 I have had many other bikes through the years too many to list.
Would you mind comparing the 250x motor to the 250 and 300 GasGas you owned. The only thing I have read to date is the YZx is a lot smoother than a YZ but does not have the low end or smoothness of a KTM 300.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-23-2015, 12:55 AM
memphis2857 memphis2857 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 926
Default

Everyone seems to miss what Yamaha is trying to do here. The x models are aimed at GNCC and National Enduro style competition. They fall in line with KTM's XC line. There are now 2 of the yz250x's in my riding group and they are awesome bikes. One guy likes to ride the super hard stuff (qualified for Sunday's event at the TKO last year) and the other guy likes the faster stuff. Both love these bikes and say it's the best bike they have ever owned. The suspension is perfect right out of the box, just spring it and you're ready to go. The motor is not even similar to a yz. It has tons of low end power that starts right off idle and if you roll on the throttle it continues to build in a very smooth and useable manner. Flip the clutch and it will explode and remind you why you love a 2t. No e-start? no worries this bike can be started by hand, literally I have seen it done. And as far as the 6 speed it really doesn't need it. First is a granny gear, you can walk beside the bike but, in 5th it will still run 70mph. how fast do you need to go? The gearing is spaced perfectly and the bike likes to be ridden in 2nd and 3rd.

If I were to compare it to my 2011 300 in stock form I would say the yz had nearly as much low end and revs higher and faster than the 300, making a little more top end power. They truly are awesome machines. The YZ450FX is out now and it is amazing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-23-2015, 10:15 AM
twowheels's Avatar
twowheels twowheels is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dearborn MI
Posts: 1,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
The motor is not even similar to a yz. It has tons of low end power that starts right off idle and if you roll on the throttle it continues to build in a very smooth and useable manner.
For Yamaha's sake that's a good thing. I traded off with a guy yesterday, and his "completely dialed" woodsy YZ250 was either sucking wind or trying to pull your arms off. The ignition and porting on the MX bike have always been a compromise for woods riding.

Beyond that, the whole bike felt dated, and the X will as well, just because they are.
__________________
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-23-2015, 06:05 PM
celler celler is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Everyone seems to miss what Yamaha is trying to do here. The x models are aimed at GNCC and National Enduro style competition. They fall in line with KTM's XC line. There are now 2 of the yz250x's in my riding group and they are awesome bikes. One guy likes to ride the super hard stuff (qualified for Sunday's event at the TKO last year) and the other guy likes the faster stuff. Both love these bikes and say it's the best bike they have ever owned. The suspension is perfect right out of the box, just spring it and you're ready to go. The motor is not even similar to a yz. It has tons of low end power that starts right off idle and if you roll on the throttle it continues to build in a very smooth and useable manner. Flip the clutch and it will explode and remind you why you love a 2t. No e-start? no worries this bike can be started by hand, literally I have seen it done. And as far as the 6 speed it really doesn't need it. First is a granny gear, you can walk beside the bike but, in 5th it will still run 70mph. how fast do you need to go? The gearing is spaced perfectly and the bike likes to be ridden in 2nd and 3rd.

If I were to compare it to my 2011 300 in stock form I would say the yz had nearly as much low end and revs higher and faster than the 300, making a little more top end power. They truly are awesome machines. The YZ450FX is out now and it is amazing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the view compared to the GasGas. It seems every review compares it to a YZ 250 which is by no means a smooth off road motor. I road them for 6 years and had them converted to off road. Good bikes but IMO not even the best 250 MX motor I had for off road. Sounds like the x is a lot better but I wonder how it compares to my 250rr Beta. Compared to my 300 GasGas the Beta has a little less low end, better midrange, same on top and more over rev. Since everyone says the x has more over rev than the YZ I'm sure the over rev on the x is better than the Beta.

The other concern I have with the x is the gap between 3rd and 4th. It is wider than the Beta which is wider than the GasGas. No big deal in the open when you are using all the power but in the tighter stuff I like to be able to pick between gears depending on the traction. Seem no one has commented on that. If the x really has a good motor it may well be able to make this jump.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:22 AM
arminhammer arminhammer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post



The other concern I have with the x is the gap between 3rd and 4th. It is wider than the Beta which is wider than the GasGas. No big deal in the open when you are using all the power but in the tighter stuff I like to be able to pick between gears depending on the traction. Seem no one has commented on that. If the x really has a good motor it may well be able to make this jump.

In 4th are you not out of the tight stuff or are you that fast?



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-29-2015, 08:18 AM
celler celler is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Prescott, Arizona
Posts: 224
Default

That is in the woods where average speeds are 20+ MPH. Real common in terrain that has a lot of sand but is not limited to this terrain. I originally come from the Midwest and now live in AZ and find I gear the same where ever I ride. My woods speed is good - Top 5 local from 1978-2009. Could break the top 20 in nationals. Now I just ride so lost a little speed but still love it!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 PM
AZRickD AZRickD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,827
Default

My 40A riding buddy would agree with Memphis, including the hand start c

He was a KTM devotee' (250 2T and 350 4T).

He loves the Yammie. Motor and suspension, in particular. I can't recall his comments on handling.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Dirt Dud's Avatar
Dirt Dud Dirt Dud is offline
Platinum Level Site Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Easton Pa
Posts: 667
Default

My riding buddy is riding one instead of his TM and really likes his , but if I bought one it would clash with the colors in my bike room . No wait that would make it Red,White n Blue . I mite have to give it some thought ? Nope cant do it lovin my Gassers !
__________________
IF I HAD ALL THE MONEY I SPENT ON DIRT BIKES , I WOULD SPEND IT ON DIRT BIKES
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-14-2016, 09:49 AM
CampX CampX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 43
Default

Rode an '05 GasGas EC300 for 5 years, just got a 2016 YZ250X.
Have about 25 hours on the X now.
The 250X motor is smooth, real smooth. Good torque off the bottom, but definitely not as tractor-like as the GG 300 (not sure if any motor is!) No big power-band hit at the top, stays pretty linear throughout the range. Seat of my pants tells me it gets to the top quicker than the GG, but that could be imagined, I dunno.
The numbers say the 250X has 44 hp, the GG had 48. The 250X weighs a LOT less (open to debate), I say 25 pounds less, truely. Could be why she feels quicker.
Maybe its just me improving as a rider, or its the bike, but I can loft the front tire in 4th and 5th with the 250X, had trouble doing it on the GG.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to expect for 2016? desertgasser300 General Discussions & Announcements 153 10-02-2015 06:17 PM
2016 Husky gasgasman All Other Bikes... 8 04-27-2015 09:51 PM
NEW! GasGas EC250 4-stroke w/Yamaha Engine! GasGasSouthWest General Discussions & Announcements 91 06-24-2009 06:53 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org