Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Injury & Recovery

Injury & Recovery Injuries, Health Issues, Vision & Body Repair

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

i have been thinking of getting SPOT, which might have cut the time.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/

there is another brand that doesnt need open skies but i forget the brand.

2014 Beta Evo Factory 300

Old 03-04-2014, 04:10 PM

Hi mate im really sorry to hear about your friend my thought go out to family and friends.

I was in the army and we had to train for events like this.
doing a first aid course is a good idea and could make a difference to the out come of events. we used the platinum 20mins (first aid given) and golden hour (hospital) .
have a plan of action shared in the group.ie medi vac procedure
have blood groups written down or get dog tags made.
have a gps of some type and everyone knows how to use it. fully charged phones or coms devises. share emergency number
carry basic medical equipment and make sure everyone knows who's carrying what and were.
have a torch if it get dark, spare batters, I had to signal a chopper in once in Iraq in a medi vac

sorry sound a it military but knowing and having the info will make life easier

hope this help for some idea's
Old 03-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasDreamer View Post
i have been thinking of getting SPOT, which might have cut the time.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/

there is another brand that doesnt need open skies but i forget the brand.
The other system you are thinking about is "PLB" - Personal Locator Beacon. Uses a different/better satellite system and is monitored by U.S. Military. (?).

jeff
Old 03-20-2014, 02:39 PM

I have been considering a PLB for the last year or so. It could make a big difference.

Here is a short buying guide video on PLBs and messengers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KNMj53YgDs

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 PM

Default NOAA Types of Emergency Beacons

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 04-08-2014, 02:47 AM

Default accident

Truly sorry to hear of the accident. I unfortunately can relate as a friend of mine was killed in an avalanche while we were out riding snowmobiles on new years day 2012. Several of us know CPR but he still died from blunt trauma. It really causes you to look at riding differently and the risk that come with it. Doesn't matter if snowmobiles road bikes or dirt bikes. All carry risks and someone In your party or better yet several in your party should know basic first aid. I never thought of spot or a PLB though. Sounds like the right idea. I myself spend a lot of time in areas with zero cell service.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

We had a pretty intense level 1 first aid course last week. The course was a wilderness first aid course for game reserve guides adapted to dirt bikes.

I am now even more messed up mentally about biking �� but in all honesty I believe that when your number is pulled it is gameover no matter what you are doing (I recently read about someone taking a dump and the toilet was defective and broke, the ceramic bowl sliced through their artery and they bled out and died!) another biking buddy who has had numerous concussions from racing recently spent 3 weeks in hospital when he slipped on wet tiles on his way to the toilet.

But now at least I have some knowledge, just hope I never have to put it to use!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
We had a pretty intense level 1 first aid course last week. The course was a wilderness first aid course for game reserve guides adapted to dirt bikes.

I am now even more messed up mentally about biking �� but in all honesty I believe that when your number is pulled it is gameover no matter what you are doing (I recently read about someone taking a dump and the toilet was defective and broke, the ceramic bowl sliced through their artery and they bled out and died!) another biking buddy who has had numerous concussions from racing recently spent 3 weeks in hospital when he slipped on wet tiles on his way to the toilet.

But now at least I have some knowledge, just hope I never have to put it to use!

I hear ya man...I had several buddies, including the one the helped me give CPR tell me they were done sledding for good. But as I explained to them: if it's something you love to do, don't give up. Easier said then done, I know, especially after being on the scene. We have had several friends I graduated with killed in other accidents, some while driving and we didn't quit driving did we? I also believe when it's your time it's your time. Good luck Matt, I hope you can get over the mental part and enjoy riding again. It will take time. Most of us didn't speak about it for a long time. In fact one of the guys that was with me talked about it with me yesterday while we were riding for really the first time since it happened.