Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 AM

The Yamaha has more than enough top speed for any northeast riding. The new WR trans is sort of a hybrid CR/WR and works well. Up in Hancock it did over 70 on the road with no problems. You know, I'll take a few lbs to gain reliability in a motor any day. Hell, thats the trait of the GG 2-stroke motor, its far from the lightest but bulletproof. FWIW, a stock '07 WR250F with handguards weighs just 3 lbs more than my old '03 EC250 fully decked out, both bikes approx half a tank of fuel.

In addition to the the fact that I still can't stand the way KTMs feel (yes I have ridden new ones), that 250F has its issues. Major boilover problems in tight slow going on the the couple I've seen for starters. How many KTM 250Fs can go multiple seasons with just a valve adjust and a cam chain? Not being a smartass I'd really like to hear longevity stories, and how much it costs to fix if it does go boom. I'm a Euro bike guy for sure, but have to admit that the Yamaha is a good motor, there are a lot of older WRs still running around. A fast reliable 250F is a major engineering challenge, especially in this economy for a small company. Sure it would be great for have an in house GG motor but probably not worth the risk right now for them. If Cannondale Motorsports adopted this philosophy, they might still be around today.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Check out the new Sherco 2.5i http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp204/FMBikes/

Is this a Yamaha motor?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

I hope it's fuel injected.
I had a WR250 and got rid of it due to jetting issues.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM

There is a certain art to setting up that FCR accel pump. The JD kit works well. I don't think this bike would be a big hit in more open, fast, sandy areas like any 250F. Even here in the southern NJ sand you have to work them harder, but they get the job done.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

The WR250 would do well on the Michigan trails. Unfortunately, there are not many 2T GG's in Michigan, let alone taking the leap to a 4T 250. Granted, the Yamaha motor is proven technology, but most around here would just go with the Yamaha bike to begin with.

GasGas would need some "good" incentives to persuade buyers to their bike.
Need 6 speed tranny.
Need EFI.
Need to be street legal.
Need 2 suspension options (standard & full Ohlins).
Offer a large bore (290/300) upgrade from factory.

I've been thinking about a 4T 250 or 2T 125/200 as my next bike. So, I consider myself a good candidate. However, without some of the upgrades over the standard Yamaha, I don't see the real benefit to me... This is coming from a loyal GG rider.

A question that I have is regarding warranty...
If you have engine problems, who is covering warranty. Yamaha is technically design responsible, but they could force all warranty to be GasGas. Then, GasGas would have to acquire parts from Yamaha and forward them to dealers. I could see this as a potential issue. Each company pointing their fingers at each other, not wanting to pick up the warranty costs, while the customer waits patiently to just get his/her parts.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
A question that I have is regarding warranty...
If you have engine problems, who is covering warranty. Yamaha is technically design responsible, but they could force all warranty to be GasGas. Then, GasGas would have to acquire parts from Yamaha and forward them to dealers. I could see this as a potential issue. Each company pointing their fingers at each other, not wanting to pick up the warranty costs, while the customer waits patiently to just get his/her parts.
The last time I bought a new Yamaha the warranty ended when I loaded it into my truck. They didn't offer any warranty on their off-road products. Has that changed?

I hate to say I agree with most here, I would probably just opt for the Yamaha package rather than GG/Yamaha unless there was something that really made it stand out from the crowd, or maybe a 250F upgrade that would only be made available to the engines being installed in GG bikes.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 AM

I don't see any of that happening other than suspension options. Really, If you've ridden the new WR you would see that the trans is fine for its intended use. If you need more top speed get the 450. A 250F is about totally usable power in a bike that you can ride all day and not get as tired. You can be more aggressive and in some cases you have to, but thats a good thing.

Think about this, its a potential new bike with a minimal capital investment. Basically they had to adapt the frame, fuel tank, build an exhaust, and a few other details. I'm sure they still have to make some $$ back on the 4-stroke trials bike. I say build and race a few, then build a few more for demo duty.

The Sherco uses an in house motor, although it looks a little too much like the KTM, just like the 450.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhrider View Post
Check out the new Sherco 2.5i http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp204/FMBikes/

Is this a Yamaha motor?
That is a Sherco designed motor through and through. Fuel injected and NO kick starter, very light and small. They have been working on this motor for years before final production. Supposed to work very nicely and quite tourqey. That would be really nice in the Gas Gas frame as well.

As far as KTM's 250 motor goes so much of the reliability issues really falls on how it's ridden, maintained, air filter changes, timely valve adjustments and oil changes etc. I personally think it's one of their best motors and would have no issues owning one. I have a bunch of friends who have them and have had no problems but they have been "properly" cared for. It is a race engine after all. As far as overheating, put the $100 cooling fan kit on it and end of story. There is also so much aftermarket stuff available for these bikes it's off the charts and I just want a 6 speed tranny if I have the choice thank you.

I think the market for a Yamigas or Gasaha will be quite small and looked at as kind of an oddity for most people who are already reluctant to buy a GG. Why not just buy the much cheaper and yes, very nice Yamaha WR to begin with? Gas Gas needs their own developed motor IMO, it's part of what makes them who they are and what draws people to them. Glad I don't have to make this decision

GG would have to cover any engine warranty issues of course. You can't split up that kind responsibility.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

Sure it would be a small market, the 2-stroke market here is small and maybe getting smaller. I'm not saying it would be my dream bike but it could be damn good, we shouldn't totally trash the idea before someone gets a chance to ride one. With the way the world economy is going to crap this company may be lucky to be in buisness. I just think they are doing the right thing from a business perspective right now. If the majority thinks like you Skidad then the plan is scrapped and loss is minimal, no big deal. Of course they should have their own motor, no argument there. Who knows, the in house GG 250F motor may be just about done, but if it turned out to be a timebomb it could bury them.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:45 PM

I know I've seen this before?http://www.scorpausa.com/
I know it is not the same type of bike, but another example of a Yamaha engine being used.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals