Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Pipe recommendation

I pulled off my CF pipe guard today to discover it didn't work very well. My FMF Fatty is pretty smashed. Not sure how much this will effect performance? If I decide to get a new pipe please chime in on your opinions as what to get. THX!!
05' EC300 / Mike

Old 08-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Stock GG pipe, Hyde combo guard.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Messico or GasGas make the best performing pipes, but they're super expensive. I'm now running FMF Gnarly pipes and am quite happy with the performance. My 200 is now a full on stump puller with the LTR powervalve cover, FMF Gnarly pipe and 13/52 gearing.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 AM

The best perfoming pipe I used was the stock Messico on my '98 EC250. However it was so thin that, even with a CF guard, one ride in the rocks made it look like an empty beer can at a frat part. Toughest pipe I ever used was the Motowest on my '98 and '01 XC300. I modified the Messico CF guard to fit the MW pipe. In six seasons it only suffered one dent where it hit the right side PV cover. Too bad the MW pipe doesn't fit my '03 EC300. Even with a CF guard, the stock FMF Fatty on my '03 took one too many hits. I've replaced it with an FMF Gnarly and Flatland guard.

Unfortunately most pipe guards don't absorb energy (I've only seen pics of the Hyde guard GMP has, so I'll reserve comment). Pipe guards do prevent a lot of small dents and dings, but if you hit something hard enough the pipe will be damaged. Either dented, bent or both. You can also break the cast exhaust spigot bolted to the front of the cylinder.

Best guards I've ever seen were the ones the guys in Hawaii made for riding the, now defunct, Mauna Kea 200 Enduro. A steel cage welded to the frame surrounding the pipe. Probably added 20 lbs. to the bike, but I bet they never smashed a pipe.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 AM

Bill,

The newer GG OEM pipes are like a Messico but made of heavy gauge steel like a Gnarly, maybe heavier. Good pipes. The Hyde combo guard is very rigid and with its frame mount transfers energy to the frame like the Hawaian cage guard but is way lighter. It also tends to slide off obstacles so this also helps. I just had it off for inspection and everything still looks good.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 AM

Will the GG pipes work with the FMF PC2 silencer? I'd prefer not replacing that too. In a different thread someone mentioned the Gnarly and Fatty being the same pipe only different material. I thought there were performance differences too. Thx for all the feedback!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:38 AM

The Fatty and Gnarly are identical. The Gnarly is made from heavier gauge steel and is slightly heavier weight-wise. No performance difference that I could tell, but opinions vary.

The sad fact is 2-stroke pipes are a wear item. I'm just glad they don't run underneath the bike anymore, like on the old Pursangs.

I've got a nice collection of bashed and twisted pipes hanging from the ceiling of my garage. Friends who don't ride will stand there staring at them with that "WTF is that?" look on their face. The observant ones will say "looks like you're adding to your collection!" every once in a while.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 PM

I keep hearing about the doma pipe. What exactly does it do?? smooth out the hit??
Old 08-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

I have had Messico,fmf,Motowest and Doma. my preferances are Motowest first ,tied for second Doma & messico. Doma very smooth, messico very good but a bit more hit than the doma. dont care for the fmf, short bubble with no overrev.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 PM

Are any of the other pipes built as strong as the FMF Gnarly? It's made of a thicker steel. I've got an FMF Fatty on my 300de.