Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Wink 15-Feb-15 Lyda Rip

It's like deja vu from a few weeks prior, another Lyda ride, another ride report...lol.

Had one of the usual suspects send an email blast about getting out for a Lyda rip the day after V-day and couldn't think of a better way to round out the weekend. Hallmark holiday down, smell of 2-stroke to come

Unfortunately, said usual suspect ran into an issue with his dual sport beast the day before and called to say he'd be hanging home to get that fixed. I knew a couple folks were planning to show, but didn't actually know the full list the email blast went to, so it was going to be an adventure.

Arrived at staging for the class bell and there were bikes everywhere...lol. All in all, I think we had 10 guys gathered...with one guy that had never been on a dirt bike before...ever. Have to give hats off to him for hanging in there for as long as he could, the first couple of trails we hit weren't much, but taking him up Tomans was a stretch to say the least. Taking him down Morrel's was the finishing touch.

The general plan of attack was to warm up on Hoodraiser and Log Jam, then go up Tomans to Hogsback, down Morrel's, then hit Archers and wind our way over to Bennys with more fun to follow. We had some time to gather our thoughts after ascending Tomans and then wound our way around the actual Knob portion to the short hill climb that dumps you onto Hogsback. Rather than subject our newb to more pain on the climb up, we said we'd meet them on Hogsback...which was easy to find when following the logging road.

After some navigational issues and poorly worded "let's meet on Hogsback" directions, we all found each other and proceeded to enjoy Hogsback and then onto Morrels. I had my first goof of the day on Morrels, didn't quite get my weight forward enough when trying to make it over one of the big root steps and 12 o'clocked the bike (doh). At least most of it cleared the root and I could haul the rest up by hand...lol.

Made it the rest of the way down without issue, though I was really surprised to see a group of bikes wanting to go up. Not really sure why you'd want to do that this time of year, it's already getting rutted in some places. As we waited for the last guys to make it down, I could hear lots of revving and just shook my head.

Unfortunately, our new guy was completely spent and a couple of the other guys decided to head back to staging as they weren't at 100% either. That dropped our group to 7 merry riders and we proceeded to hit Archers on our way to Bennys Hill. I enjoyed hitting Benny's the 2nd time almost as much as the first time - such a great section of single track that winds its way down. I did have the unfortunate luck of doing something stupid in my pursuit of the 200 pumpkin in front of me and kissed a tree after locking up the rear and stalling the bike. Fortunately, the only damage was a snapped zip tie (holding the GPS unit in place...lol) and pride. Pulled another zip tie out of the pack and kept going.

Rather than head up Payne (Pain...lol) trail again, the desire was to hit Denny's and then check out George's Loop as no one knew what 'old George was like. That's still the case...I think. We finished Denny's without issue and then found a trail without a name, decided to go and it was a nasty, rutted piece of muck.

We looped around and ended up back where we started; at which point I realized I couldn't upshift any longer...WTH. Took a look and found the reason easily enough - shifter was bent completely under the case and wouldn't allow any upshifting to occur. Doh. Time for trail side maintenance. Pulled her off, bent her back enough so I could get a toe under and shift, then off we went.

Rather than keep searching for George, we hit the upper sections of Payne and made our way back toward staging on Archers. The plan from there was to hit Lyda Bypass and then go down Bales Creek. Everything was going well until one of the sections of Archers. I crested one of the hills and found trask-rider and the rest of the gang stopped, with JPs bike pointing up hill (Hmmm...weren't we going down this?) and him sorting himself out. The good news is he wasn't too badly wounded, the bad news is no one got it on camera (lol). At least it made it easier to keep up with him...lol.

We found a trail that dumped us onto Lyda Bypass and upon hitting the logging road, decided to call it a day and head back to staging. All in all, I think we covered 32ish miles...which isn't bad given the size of the group and the fact that we threw a newb to the wolves...lol. I still want to get back and hit that section of Lyda Bypass and Bales, but that's for another day.

As usual, some video of the fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVJibvNnqA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWvpl1Ah0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsiduyRz8JM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VAt0bAXLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJrz9PGBm2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbJcJRS3AHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yirPD7yYI68

Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 PM

Awesome Brad!

Nice group you had there. Amazing February for sure. Might be an interesting summer if we don't get some rain.

We hit Hood River on Monday and it was summer conditions. So fun.

Russ
Old 02-25-2015, 10:40 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firffighter View Post
Might be an interesting summer if we don't get some rain.
Yeah, I know man...pretty worried about the lack of snow in the mountains The riding has been great, but I'd rather have the precip and be able to ride all summer without everything being closed for fire hazard

Glad you guys had a good time out at Hood River, crazy to think there isn't any snow out there