Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Default Ignition testing?

I've recently developed an intermittant plug fouling issue that I believe may be linked to ignition. I say ignition because carb setting are working summer settings and should actually be quite lean in these colder winter conditions. Carb has been totally down, cleaned and float level confirmed. New fuel. Clean air filter. Compression good and no indications of coolant loss.

Has anyone got info on testing coil and voltage regulator? I've got specs for the exciter and charging coil tests.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:21 AM

Joe,

Simple first. Unscrew the plug cap from the HV lead and the HV lead from the coil. All there is is a self tapping screw/conductor that threads into the conductor of the HV lead. Clean with contact cleaner. Cut a few mm back to good wire and reinstall with some RTV on the insulation for a seal. Last year mine would occasionally start hard. I did this and its been a one kick bike since. Start with the cap as the coil side is sealed better, but the coil side can come loose from impacts. The resistor plugs aggrevate the problem as there are voltage drops accross every resistance (poor connection) and less for the plug gap. You can run a non-resistor plug without problems. I only run a resistor plug for insurance against interferance with my Pro Comp computer and/or GPS.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Glenn. Good reminder to think basics first...I tend to always over analyse/complicate problems. I actually had the cap and wire on the list of "to check", just wondered if anyone had specs to test the other components just to cover off all bases.