Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:49 AM

I used the michelin S12 front and rear for long time riding in the sand.
Now I tested the Dunlop MX11 rear tire and what can I say:
it is unbeliveble now much traction this tire has. When you open the throttle the S12 has nothing else than wheel spin and the MX11 give you traction and you will come out every corner on the rear wheel!
I just can recomment the MX11 for deep sand, riding is much more fun with the right tire!

Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Default Trials tires rawk!

Tire- Dunlop trials D803 front and rear
Pressure the tire was run at- ~10 lb front and rear to minimize flats
Inflation device(tube, tubliss, mousse etc)- trials tube
Terrain ridden- desert mountains - rocks/sandy/sand dunes
How well did it work- very well on all the surfaces. There was no mud or hard pack
How well the tyre lasted- one ride so far!
Any other notes- Most people don't like front trials tires but I couldn't feel any problems. Did not ride hard, bash into rocks, bounce off berms, or ride on pavement. They worked very well in deep sand.

I went down a loose rock hill I wouldn't even attempt on my old tires (Mileville) and came up doing wheelies. We had to push my buddy's YZ250 up the hill. He had worn out knobs.

Incredible confidence on off-camber slick rock staircases, front and rear.

Bike (model and year)-2005 EC300
Skill level- B recreational
Location- Mattawa, WA / Saddle Mtn ORV

Would you buy another? Rear Yes, Front wait and see.
If not, why? Rear Only to try a different trials tire. Front depends on how it works out.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Tire-Front & Rear Pirelli MT43 Trials, front as every 3rd knob removed
Pressure the tire was run at-usually at 10psi front and 8psi rear but can lower, haven't dinged rims yet
Inflation device(tube, tubliss, mousse etc)-Tubliss Front & Rear
Terrain ridden-Desert, single track, virgin desert, washes, brutal-rocky-technical, trial bike trails
How well did it work-Very well
How well the tyre lasted-Very long
Any other notes-I see no need to run knobs any longer. In the future will try desert knobby which have very thick sidewalls for s&g. Love the hookup. Will never go back to knobs. Like that it looks like it should not work.
It seems to me that knobs dig trenches while the trials leaves the ground nearly undisturbed. Flexing=larger footprint.
Tubliss allows running flat although never had too. A trick is to run some slime but to lube inner assemble and tire bleeds green and can be plugged and back to riding.

Bike (model and year)-2006 EC300
Skill level-'A' non racer
Location-Las Vegas NV USA Earth

Would you buy another?100% yes
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 01-20-2014, 11:39 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Is that every third row of knobs removed?
How do you remove them?
How does it handle clayey mud
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Is that every third row of knobs removed?
Its like this ..... R is Removed and K is Knob
The middle/ center row has 3 knobs then removed
and I alternated back and forth to the left and right
can post a pic if this doesn't work

K R K K K K K K K R K K K K K K K R K K
K K K R K K K R K K K R K K K R K K K R -center
K K K K K R K K K K K K K R K K K K K K

Quote:
How do you remove them?
Razor knife and St Pauli Dark

Quote:
How does it handle clayey mud
Without any mods at all, on Husaberg Force Ride in Gunnison CO, super muddy in some areas, I had just as much traction as knobs. When they were packed with clay so was mine. I removed the knobs thinking that it might work in the sand/loose like the specialty tire. I never had any issues in any terrain. Sand is ok. Las Vegas doesn't get much rain but in Gunnison it was super slippery. My trials out performed knobs fin the slimy snot or sure. They would spin I wouldn't. Just don't dump the clutch and spin them up like you might do on a knob. As soon as I feel them spin I backoff the throttle so they can stop spin and start grabbing. Its a different style to some. I also run Tubliss which means I can drop my psi to anything I want. I haven't gotten to crazy low psi like on my trials yet but I will. Seems that the 100+psi inner tube/tire stops it from rimming and dinging the rims. We have lots of sharp edge rocks and formation but no issues. I like to ride my enduro EC300 on the 'trials only' trail. Its a joke really because endures just cant do the trail but its in the moments that you loose it that you learn. I also like running bald, totally smooth, chords showing a little, trials on the rear of my endure. Believe it or not it still hooks up good but what is cool is the off chamber. They slip out as soon as you get outside the bikes sweet spot. Makes a new trials seem like magic then.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

thanks, I also run tubliss and love it, but have not gone for any soft sidewall tires (like trials tires) yet due to the caution from the local importer stating that i will run a high chance of sidewall cuts

do you not get the wobbly back feeling in the faster sections with your trials tire?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
thanks, I also run tubliss and love it, but have not gone for any soft sidewall tires (like trials tires) yet due to the caution from the local importer stating that i will run a high chance of sidewall cuts
I think I read here, and I want to try it for s&g, to run a Desert AT knob which has super stiff sidewalls. I guess the thinking is that then the sidewall wont pinch even with no air.
But Pirelli is more of a trials tire made for an enduro than a trials tire for trials bike. It has some decent thick sidewalls, not like a Michelin which I split the sidewall on the first ride. At speed, "pop", wiggle wiggle, 3" sidewall slit.
When have some really sharp edges here and no issues with the Pirelli MT 43, not true of Michelin

Quote:
do you not get the wobbly back feeling in the faster sections with your trials tire?
I did get a flat on a Pirelli trials [barrel cactus will kill tubes and bounce you off your bike like no rock can] before I had the Tubliss. I was able to haul @ss back on a flat, yes it did swing back and forth but it was predictable.
But a Michelin at low psi, not flat, isn't nice at all. Too low and it wobbles and on a single track you have only a few inches to be in so I didn't like the Michelin at all. I had to jack the psi up to maintain accuracy on singles at speed which was too much psi to get the real grip, I mean it was ok but not good imho. Again the Pirelli is a heavy duty sidewall, at least the rear is.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I love the dunlop trials. But, am gonna try the AT81 Dunlop this weekend. Supose to be the best of both worlds knobby and trials low air pressure with lots of grip everywhere will let you know. Is not the desert version. Dont think needed in south east.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGasDreamer View Post
I think I read here, and I want to try it for s&g, to run a Desert AT knob which has super stiff sidewalls. I guess the thinking is that then the sidewall wont pinch even with no air.
But Pirelli is more of a trials tire made for an enduro than a trials tire for trials bike. It has some decent thick sidewalls, not like a Michelin which I split the sidewall on the first ride. At speed, "pop", wiggle wiggle, 3" sidewall slit.
When have some really sharp edges here and no issues with the Pirelli MT 43, not true of Michelin

I did get a flat on a Pirelli trials [barrel cactus will kill tubes and bounce you off your bike like no rock can] before I had the Tubliss. I was able to haul @ss back on a flat, yes it did swing back and forth but it was predictable.
But a Michelin at low psi, not flat, isn't nice at all. Too low and it wobbles and on a single track you have only a few inches to be in so I didn't like the Michelin at all. I had to jack the psi up to maintain accuracy on singles at speed which was too much psi to get the real grip, I mean it was ok but not good imho. Again the Pirelli is a heavy duty sidewall, at least the rear is.
ok, sounds like the pirelli is similar to the mitas trials tire, also has a more serious sidewall
Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
ok, sounds like the pirelli is similar to the mitas trials tire, also has a more serious sidewall
i don't know about that since i never saw the mitas
but the Pirelli was like a 'regular' sidewall whereas the other trials were flimsy.
again, i think that Pirelli designed this as a 'endure trials'
good luck
post your results
K ?