Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 09-10-2013, 09:06 PM

Default Knobby knife after 2.5 tires

Not sure if this is going to make a difference. Lots of my side knobs are chunked. I resorted to cutting the tops off the knobs as the up and down method was going to take forever.

I think in effort to ride on decent rubber I am going to buy a changing stand so I can flip my tires then knobby knife em one the other side is rounded.

Once I got in the groove so to speak it went...kinda fast, but you really gotta have some time to just methodically work on it.

Are you guys chopping the tops or making new edges going down? Would you all buy it again?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM

Sure I'd buy again. I cut the front face of the knobs and also make a shallow slit across center knobs (side to side) about 1/8 - 3/16 inch deep. They are good for 2-3 rides after cutting and I cut them twice before getting a new tire. The tool is simple to use but not easy. It is a little work at best and a lot of work unless you keep it sharp.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM

Default knobby knife

yes, I like my knobby knife, it does stretch the tire life with new sharp edges, and I like that because I HATE changing tires...but what it doesn't do is restore that new soft rubber flexion...in other words, an older tire that is getting hard from age the knobby knife doesn't do a lot for (you get a sharp HARD edge), but in this case maybe that siper adapter from "tread doctor" might restore some new grip by siping the knobs themselves. I haven't tried that one yet, anybody?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...tread%20doctor

they say "sniping", do they mean siping? This tool looks like a groove cutter, not a siper. I guess you could flip the blade and have a "double siper" instead of a "groover"???
Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM

nice to modify your tires when rain at the night before race too
Brasil!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I sharpen the 'blade' from time to time, just rub the wedge side on some sandpaper.