Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM

Default cheap saw mount idea with picture

There have been quite a few discussions in the past concerning saw mounts and packs. I thought I would post a picture of my idea. I used an empty plastic 5 gallon pail. I cut it to fit the saw bar using tin snips and helped it bend using a propane torch. The trick is to mount it high enough that it doesnt interfere with the fork guard when the forks compress. You can see I mounted it using 3 hose clamps (I used peices of an old inner tube under them to not scratch my fork tubes). inside the "scabbard" is a 3/4" wide length of 1/8" (?) thick steel that provides support to the clamps so they don't tear through. It doesn't bother the bar or chain at all. I am going to make another one shortly to improve on my design. Where you see I have the edges bolted it is too tight to easily put the saw in and out so I spaced it with washers. I am going to cut plastic strips to use as shims and not use the spacer washers. The chain hangs up on them.
There are pros and cons for all designs. Yes, this one is heavy on the steering but at least you shouldn't end up landing on it if you crash. And the light/number plate is easy to remove and install as needed. A bungee cord keeps the saw from moving around. I hope this helps someone that might be trying to figure a way to carry a saw.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)

Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM

Another option can be made from a US Army ALICE.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wearing-Saw-Pack.jpg (91.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Brian VT; 06-02-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM

wow i feel silly now!
i saw the pic by itself on the front page, and i thought it was a milkjug auxiliary tank on the bars!! doh!

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck: