Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:17 PM

Default Bike won't start after head swap

Swapped stoch head for RK tec billet head now the bike won't hit a lick. Not the new heads fault it is a work of art. Squish is now 1.15mm stock head was 1.85mm. First problem was I apparantly washed the bike a few days after taking the air filter out to clean (I'm 67 I forget things). I say apparently because there was no water on the piston after removing the stock head but there was some water in the carb bowl. After turning the bike upside down twice and running the e-start with the plug out it still won't start. I then pulled the small drain plug out underneath the crank and another ounce of water came out. Still won't hit a lick but no more water on the plug just fuel. I have tried 4 different spark plugs (3 were new) and even swapped the CDI, coil and plug wire. Still won't hit a lick even when using starter fluid - won't even try to start. I've used the e-start (which has always worked great) and the manual kicker but no luck. The fuel in the bike is a little old but it is ethanol free and bike ran fine on it before. I'll swap it out next but other than that the only thing I can think of is to reset the float level again (I had reset it when I had the carb out to clean it). This has got me pulling my hair out and I don't have a lot left.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:32 PM

did you at least check for a spark?
maybe some water got into the kill -/ switch?
if water got into the cases, you need to get that engine started ASAP to dry it out.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 PM

Pull the carb out and clean the water out of it. It?ll be stuck in the jets and in the passages. And do my be surprised if you have to pull the plug half a dozen times to blow the water off it. It seems to be attracted to spark plug electrodes and shorts out the spark.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:01 PM

Very strong spark but I have no way to check it under compression. I will remove the carb again and sure there is absolutely no water anywhere but again there is no water showing on the plug now after trying to start it - only fuel. I have fuel getting to the plug and great compression you would think it would at least try to start when using starter fluid. I keep rotating the same new plugs each time after I heat them up with a propane torch until they are too hot to hold. I would think that would burn off the fuel and dry them out.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator

I've drowned loads of Gassers

Make sure you have no more water in the intake. Make sure you have no more water in the carb. Pull the spark plug and the crank case drain and press the button a few times. Make sure the pipe has also been emptied.

She'll fire !
Old 06-05-2020, 04:55 AM

There is also a crank case drain bolt that will get out the last of the water
Old 06-05-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
There is also a crank case drain bolt that will get out the last of the water
He said he had it out and another ounce of water came out of the crank case.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I've drowned loads of Gassers

Make sure you have no more water in the intake. Make sure you have no more water in the carb. Pull the spark plug and the crank case drain and press the button a few times.

She'll fire !
Did all that, even swapped the carb(from a running bike). Will not even try to start using the button or kicker. This bike is a 2018 ec300 with just over 100 hours on it. It was starting perfectly last time I rode it 2 weeks ago. The fuel in it was taken from my other gasser that started yesterday before I pulled its carb to put on this bike. All the water is gone, fuel is good, and bike has twice the compression of my other gasser. In my mind all that is left is a good spark but looks great too. Is there some way to verify a spark under compression?
Old 06-05-2020, 10:59 AM

Make sure all your ground connections, including where the coil bolts down, are clean and make sure you didn't pull the plug wire out a bit from the coil. It can still be attached yet not fully seated. Also, double check that your kill switch is functioning properly.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 06-05-2020, 07:45 PM

Spark at the right time? Wondering if a keyway got sheared possibly trying to turn the motor over when it had water in it. Hydraulic locks can do a lot of damage.