Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 AM

Default Low speed high gear stalls in v.slippery conditions

I've posted about this before and am wondering about my options this year..

The problem is to find traction on my 05 300 during really slippery conditions I run a high gear and slip the clutch. Engine feels like it is usually just above tick over. My speed could be say 5-10mph.

In that condition I seem prone to stalling, maybe balancing the clutch and throttle for so long means occasionally I get it wrong.

I'm thinking if the motor had less power off the bottom maybe I'd be using a lower gear and higher rpm's so would be less likely to stall?

My thoughts are:

Live with it and get better at riding
Buy a 250
Remove the high volume PV chamber I have
Change the jetting
Buy a Rekluse (the pro's not available though I woulddn't pay for a new z start and the EXP sounds like it is for MX and doesn't have the adjustability...)

Any other thoughts.

'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)

Old 04-02-2010, 04:42 AM

hi i have the same bike without problem the solution is be fat i have 110 kg end never loose the traction xaxaxaxa
Old 04-02-2010, 06:18 AM

I feel your pain and suffer the same frustrating problem. In a split second my riding buddies are gone (with their Rekluse equiped e-start 4 strokes) and if the bike doesn't start right up or I'm tired or in an awkward position it really adds up. Anyone who rides crazy technical terrain for miles on end and and can't see the benefit of an e-start 2 stroke is beyond me.

So a few thoughts

Live with it and get better at riding This is obvious for sure. The better shape I'm in the more focused I can stay over a longer period of time and remain in that aggressive enough mode to always be ready to slip the clutch. At 52YO I'm on a mission this year to be in the best shape I have been in years. Dirt bike riding and racing, mtn. biking, road biking, trail running and some weight training should do the trick I hope and eating better with more sleep as well.

Buy a 250 Another possible solution that seems to work for many people. I'm still mixed on the 300 and it's power delivery and may also go this route. Still on my KTM 250 EXC with it's mellow electric motor I still stall the freaking thing to much, even with soft organic pads. I have a Rekluse Pro to install into this bike so that will be solved soon enough

Remove the high volume PV chamber I have The 300 doesn't need the high volume PV cover IMO. This is easy, just install the stock cover and see how you like it. No cost at all.

Change the jetting Fat jetting or straight taper needle helps smooth power delivery but not sure it will help your stall problems.

Buy a Rekluse (the pro's not available though I woulddn't pay for a new z start and the EXP sounds like it is for MX and doesn't have the adjustability...) This is the route I'm going to with the Gasser (EXP) I look at it this way, the EXP will be very similar in action and performance to your regular clutch with the added advantage of anti stall. I'm hoping it will have a little more slip than a standard clutch (which I think it will with the light wedges installed) but the fact that it acts and feels like a regular clutch, has full over ride capability, and wont stall is good enough for me. I'm sure as Rekluse tinkers with this newer EXP it will get even better.

Any other thoughts. The biggie I really think is being in better shape so you can stay sharp and focused longer. I know, easier said than done. I've resorted to riding my 250 different and letting the motor scream more as much as possible before shifting up but I can get away with that because it mellow and electric in its delivery for the most part. The 300 not so much. When I'm caught a gear to high always have my hand on the clutch....but it doesn't always work Have you tried the G2 throttle cam system?

EDIT...HuskyDude mentioned a heavier FWW which might be a good option to try. What ignition does your bike have now 2K2 or 2K3?

Last edited by Skidad; 04-02-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Good thoughts Skidad I agree being/getting in shape would be paramount.
I would love to drop 20 lbs... and have more endurance while riding.
I'm really on the fence on auto clutches...call me old fashion I guess. A lot of younger riders use them here also.
My 2010 EC300 comes with a wet/dry duel mapping switch which does work in the slippery stuff.
Also went up a few teeth in the back sprocket helps tremendously.
I'm now considering getting a heavier FFW.
I ride with a couple of orange pumpkins one 2t the other 4t both are running Rekluse pros...both have magic buttons.
But I wouldn't trade my Gaser for either of them.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 04-02-2010, 10:57 AM

just a thought, if your having trouble getting traction, maybe u could try a set of throttle cams? there are a few threads about them, and the g2 ergonomics ones cant be more than a new rekluse clutch. just an idea.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Another way to look at the problem may be to see if you are getting the maximum traction available. Tyre choice, pressure and having a really soft and compliant rear suspension can make a huge difference to "milking" traction. Also throttle and clutch control along with footpeg weighting - if you can get youself and your bike to "glide" over the slippery terrain you may start having fun and find the stalling problems kind of disappear? Just a thought...