Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM

Default 2 stroke vs 4 Article

http://articles.superhunky.com/4/106

Old 02-22-2011, 10:30 AM

Red (read) that on another site; good read if you don't like RED. The rebuild cost and weight is why I went back to the 2-strokes. I'm doing my part I've picked up three new one's in the past year LOL!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Default Good read-

Was that current? Didn't see a date. Just curious.
I have a 450/4 that I kind of like and want a new 250/300 "something" and was leaning 4-stroke, but the repair/maint issues do concern me.
I love the power delivery of a 4, but know that new technology can make a 2 feel like a 4- in regards to maps and such; just smoothing out the peakiness a bit.
My 200/2 is, well a 2.... it'll dig a trench, whereas my 450/4 is like a tractor and will just chug up and over anything.
But, for somebody that doesn't do their own maint/repairs(me)....... 4s is $!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Good article. This is not the first time I have heard that Honda is to blame for the demise of the two stroke in AMA racing. The silver lining is that it leaves the door open for Gas Gas to take advantage of the hole in the market.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 PM

My 4 stroke puts more blue smoke in the air then my 2 stroke...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Banned

He didn't even get into the whole noise thing which is another whole issue. We were recently at a friend's house waaaay out in the woods and there were two guys riding on a moto track a couple of hill and hollers over from his place. This in middle TN, northeast of Nashville. One guy was on a 4T and another on a 2T. To begin with, we thought that the guy on the 2T was farther away but realized they were riding together. The 4T sound carried way farther than the 2T sound.
I think the Euro companies will revive the 2 stroke!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM

If some of you are old enough to remember, Honda was the last manufacturer
to make a 2 stroke back in the early 70's, when they made the Elsinore. For some reason Mr. Honda had something against 2 strokes from the beginning.

I didn't get to read the article because its blocked here at work but I will check it out when I get home.

The sound issue of the 4 strokes is a very major problem. And the mfgrs and after market companies don't seem to be doing anything about it. They say they've got the level down to 94db but that is at basically idle, which defeats
the purpose. The industry needs a more realistic measurement but the ol' cash cow would go away.....
Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnuts View Post
Was that current? Didn't see a date.
He quotes Brad Lackey as comparing it to his 2010 RMZ450, so it can't be too old.

It's hard to quantify fun, but I just about fell asleep riding a CRF250 at a moto track last year. I was there with a guy that owned that bike and my old YZ250, and he wouldn't even let me ride the two-stroke until late in the day when he was spent. The Honda was available because, well, he simply doesn't ride it anymore.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM

If you get a chance, pick up the latest copy of Motocross Action. I don't usually read this but the article on a 2001 Honda CR 250 caught my attention. Read the ENTIRE article. The conclusion is, 2 strokes are a lot better than anyone cares to admit. In this case, the 450's might still win at the pro level but for everyone else a 2 stroke makes a lot of sense. And no I don't hate 4 strokes, an old XR, TT, DR can be just as much fun as any other bike. Just my random thoughts.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM

well, i find that most interesting, this article.
it made me even more convinced that i made a good decision in going for 2stroke.
all i would like is for mileage to go up ,and even more quite.
noise i can do something about it,but mileage not really...
torque and performance-wise is all good.
i hope they make cleaner 2-strokes in the near future.

i allso hope more and more people try out the newer 2 strokers so they can feel that they're not all that peaky anymore (at least most of our gassers).

thanks for posting this gaser!

ciao, hannes.