Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-21-2015, 12:48 PM

Default Marzocchi 48 questions

Ok so I recently tot done my forks to put new springs in. What I found was very low oil level from the factory 200cc per side. My question is while I was cleaning everything up I kept getting oil out of the bleed holes on the cartridges. So are my cartridges low on oil now? I would like to open them up and replace the oil anyway but I need the special tool, right? Where can I get it? What about the pfp spring is it preloaded to the point things could get wild when I open up the cartridge? What oil level do you guys suggest? I am still running stock valving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-21-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Ok so I recently tot done my forks to put new springs in. What I found was very low oil level from the factory 200cc per side. My question is while I was cleaning everything up I kept getting oil out of the bleed holes on the cartridges. So are my cartridges low on oil now? I would like to open them up and replace the oil anyway but I need the special tool, right? Where can I get it? What about the pfp spring is it preloaded to the point things could get wild when I open up the cartridge? What oil level do you guys suggest? I am still running stock valving.

There are numerous threads on this here, but in short form ...

* the oil transfers between the inner and outer chambers, so if the seals are still intact the fluid has just moved internally
* you need the outer 49mm wrench and inner socket (a modified KYB tool with clearance for the PFP knob)
* there will be some preload released, but unless you've got your teeth directly over the cap there is nothing to worry about
* without knowing about your weight/skill/terrain, start with 210cc inner and 310cc outer chamber oil
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-21-2015, 01:05 PM

Ok. I am 250lbd with gear and I went with some of the progressive springs from Richard Wilson. 45-50 rate. I went with 320 in the outer but didn't mess with the cartridge at all. Thank you

Old 04-21-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
Ok. I am 250lbd with gear and I went with some of the progressive springs from Richard Wilson. 45-50 rate. I went with 320 in the outer but didn't mess with the cartridge at all. Thank you

You may want to revisit the fluid volumes. If you haven't lost any oil from the seals, and your outer chamber volume was around 200cc, then you have ~120cc unaccounted for. It's in the upper chamber, added to the 210cc that is supposed to be up there.

When you refilled your outer legs to 320cc but didn't drain and re-fill the closed chamber, your total volume is now 650cc instead of the ~530cc it should be.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-21-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You may want to revisit the fluid volumes. If you haven't lost any oil from the seals, and your outer chamber volume was around 200cc, then you have ~120cc unaccounted for. It's in the upper chamber, added to the 210cc that is supposed to be up there.

When you refilled your outer legs to 320cc but didn't drain and re-fill the closed chamber, your total volume is now 650cc instead of the ~530cc it should be.
Yeah you had me thinking the same thing with your first post. I didnt know that they shared oil. I thought they were independent of each other. I was just looking at KYB tools for opening the cartridge. Will the motionpro one work?
http://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-to...k5waAjFZ8P8HAQ
Old 04-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

I basically wrote the same thing in this thread
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19506

Can't tell from the pic if the Motionpro one is recessed. You need to have a cap tool which allows the PFP adjuster to sit into the tool enough that the outer edge of the tool can positively enagage the cap.

I used a DRC branded one which works, but you still need to take care. RT not a chance. From memory Steve machined out an RT.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:24 AM

I have the MP tool above and just used a die grinder to make it fit.