Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Gasgas Vs Beta

Well I have been toying with the idea of jumping ship to a beta 300 from my gg300 and im wondering if anyone here has or has any input on the idea? I have seen the beta in action and the build quality and ease of access under the seat and what not looks great. Fuel economy on the beta was the same as my gg. And I know the weight is less then the gg but honestly it doesn't bother me on the gg as I think it is what helps it stay planted so well.

Nato.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

When you say fuel economy is the same, is that to say you both get the same amount per tank, or you both get around the same distance per litre?

For me, I don't have any dealer support with Beta at this end of the country otherwise I'd definitely consider one. Sachs boingers might not be as good as the zokes, but people are reporting no issues tuning them up and making them work. Have you considered the Sherco's too?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:33 AM

Yep tank for tank same k's. The 14 tanks are bigger than the 13's poor 7L or whatever it was and the 14 racing model comes with the 48 zokes anyway and elec start (which i know you love haha) I don't have a gg dealer so to me there would be no change as the closest gg dealer is also a Beta dealer.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

In that case, I say why not? I like their engine design. Its like the best of gas gas and ktm combined, with a real starter that works. Nice tight tolerances right out of the factory. Light flywheel that spools up quickly! Sounds good to me!

They say a change is as good as a holiday. I don't think I would have stuck with Gas Gas if in a position with more choices. I simply upgraded because of an opportunity that presented. If paying new bike dollars for a new model, I'd be shopping around and choosing carefully for sure.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 AM

They have measured up squish and all is right straight out of the box also.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 AM

Thumbs up

Well the Beta is a little lighter and the e start is better. Still if I had an estart gasgas I don't think I'd upgrade. What for?.. unless I just wanted to try it and that would be ok too. Gasgas is an excellent bike and Beta is too..from what I've heard it's very good. I'd go for those 2 brands before going ktm for sure. .but as it is with my cr honda and my 01 300 gasgas.. I'll upgrade to a Beta 300 as my next bike.. It's hard to let go of my bikes though. They work great. No e start though and I'm having knee problems..
Old 01-29-2014, 04:37 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I reckon the clincher will be the seat bar peg difference, I don't like the Ktm high peg/low seat flat straight bar off high triple clamps setup, and apparently the beta has higher pegs again. I like Japanese/gas gas/ tm roomier mid height bar and peg setup, I'm sure you get used to it though.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Thats a good point Simmo. And one I also agree with, however I think I prefer the 2013 chasis over the 2010 now I've got a few rides. Just seems to feel a bit easier to keep onself up in the attack position, probably due to the raised pegs, and slightly lower bars (no underbar damper).

Haven't had a chance to throw a leg over a Beta, but the ktm-bergs feel very much like a spaceship.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Coming off a 2011 GasGas 300 and onto a 2013 Beta 300 probably makes me qualified to answer. Over on the Beta forum, which is not yet near as good as this one, there are a lot of ex GG riders. Over on the cafe husky forum there is a very good as well as non biased test of the Beta 300 from a hard core Husky small bore guy. Who also happens to be a very knowledgable business owner?
Do your research, there is a lot of info out there. Those who bleed GG will never change, those that don't, well most will. The only thing I have heard of the new Sherco that could be considered bad is supposedly a lot of vibration. While the Beta is reportedly the smoothest out there. Given I wear what I ride, it's obvious what my choice was, but to each his, or her, own. Change, or at least the opportunity, in the form of high quality alternatives, is good.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Banned

I finally had the chance to see a beta 300 up close the other day on the trail. It was really nice looking and looked put together well. The owner had no complaints. he did have his q stealth cut down also. It was a nice looking bike overall. They are on the smallish side, like the older gassers. The owner was over 6' and had a guts tall seat and mentioned he still felt squished. Would I own one? Sure, but it isn't a bike I would get rid of my gasser for. But deep down inside I know if I had the funds I would be a bike horder!!!

One thing that is puzzling is, Shouldn't the beta or other brands be getting better mileage since they are lighter then the gasgas?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk