Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM

Default Will this work?

I like really soft suspension, what most would call mushy, and would say was too soft. I ride in extremely rocky and technical terrain. My bike is an 01 XC 250 with stock suspension. I am 6'2" and about 220 lbs, and due to injury have to sit down over 90% of the time. When I used to stand about 50% of the time I liked more firm suspension, and I was quite a bit faster back then. Lately I am probably about a slow B or fast C rider, in ability but I don't race, I ride very long difficult trail rides in which I go as hard as I can, but in some horrible rocky terrain. I am always fastest on whichever bike beats me up the least! I rarely jump anything big, but do have to cross plenty of logs of all sizes, some really big ones. Again, I can't stress too much the rocky harsh terrain I ride. Some really good riders don't even go there it's so rocky but it's the closest place to me and I like it.

In order to make the fork more plush, could I go to the lightest fork oil they make, which I think is about 1-2 weight, and use some progressive springs? My thinking is that the lighter oil and progressive springs would allow the fork to move more freely in the first half of the stroke, making the fork more reactive and soak up the nasty rocks/roots better? I have no complaints about the Ohlins shock, but do realize that a major change to the front may require a change to the rear, or will it? I may send the forks off for a revalve eventually but would like to wait a year and spend my money on more riding.

I read plenty of articles on the early WP forks on KTMs, and most said that progressive springs were not the ticket, but most of those articles were written out west. I've ridden there. It's not on the same planet! What they call singletrack is a Jeep road! It is rocky in places, but the rocks are big, smooth, and planted, the trails are wide, and the speeds much higher. My speed average is usually 10-15mph and that's all I can manage.

Thanks, Jeff.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM

while I can't help with your suspension question I disagree with your description of single-track trails in the west. None of the state maintained trail systems that I ride are even open to ATV's because they aren't wide enough.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 11-17-2012, 01:48 PM

I would not go to progressive springs. They mess up rebound.
When the fork is almost extended the spring has little force and you need light rebound setting. But when compressed then the initial rebound setting becomes too light.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Great pic! I love that type of mountain terrain. Definitely separates the "hotdogs from the weenies"
Old 11-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinGas View Post
I would not go to progressive springs. They mess up rebound.
When the fork is almost extended the spring has little force and you need light rebound setting. But when compressed then the initial rebound setting becomes too light.
Tick! + 10000 Try looking at progressive spring debate for pds rear end, and it has dual pistons.

Try removing most of the fork springs preload, maybe try 1 to 2 mm, also correct springs for your weight will feel softer than softer springs, because springs are position sensitive and fall into a compressed state if they are too light, and require more force to displace them (just like adding lots of preload), as you increase spring rate you need to reduce compression damping and increase rebound damping to deal with the differing forces.

You won't get what you want unless you revalve, expert help from ltr/ STM/ after hours cycle etc will be your answer.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha