Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
I'm doing a top end very soon & would like to inspect/clean/grease/umprove the starter on my '18 XC250. Did you have pics on what to do as I've never touched one of these things before.
Post 77 and 78 of this thread. Someones even posted a video.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:26 AM

My bike has all the updates other than a flywheel including a new starter. It still would not start on the button last fall until the motor was hot. Mind you it was 0 degrees C out side or colder. After a 4 month break I removed the right side number plate and noticed some white caulking on the fuse block connections. I dis-assembled and cleaned everything up and reassembled those connections with dielectric grease. Rolled it out in the drive way and it fired up with the button after all that sitting with no charging. Rode on Sunday and it was starting in gear and while out riding no problems at all. Had to kick it when I rolled it off the truck but the battery was cold from the hour drive at 2 degrees C. Time will tell I guess.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaulnier View Post
The starter motor brushes are most likely fried due to too much friction in the Bendix end cap bore. The too tight tolerances on the end cap to Bendix shaft creates too much friction which bogs down the starter so too much current flows through the starter. This is called the locked rotor current and is orders of magnitude greater than normal motor running current so is unsustainable and causes damage to current carrying components like the brushes.

I suggest polishing the bore on the new end cap as described previously and/or discovering the cause of the friction that is binding up the Bendix and starter.

The other fixes that were done are all good and correct and necessary but if there is too much friction in the Bendix cover and/or assembly then you will still have problems.

I think the basic components and design are sound but require proper tolerances, lubrication and assembly.

Mine required polishing the Bendix end cap bore and now starts from cold. It would only start before when hot after the Bendix end cap had warmed up and the bore expanded, reducing friction enough to decrease the load on the starter, leaving enough battery capacity to activate the ignition and spark the coil.
I've taken a little time to look further into this starter problem and it appears to me that the starter gear is engaging too deep into the flywheel gear. The noise and the wear on the flywheel remind me of the older Chevrolet starters when they were not shimmed properly. Of course this design cannot be adjusted with shims so he is waiting to hear back from his dealer who is being very helpful and says that most of his customers have had no problems but one other guy besides my friend is having similar problems.

I did check to drive and gear and it spun freely with no binding or play.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Post 77 and 78 of this thread. Someones even posted a video.
Cheers.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrooster View Post
I've taken a little time to look further into this starter problem and it appears to me that the starter gear is engaging too deep into the flywheel gear. The noise and the wear on the flywheel remind me of the older Chevrolet starters when they were not shimmed properly. Of course this design cannot be adjusted with shims so he is waiting to hear back from his dealer who is being very helpful and says that most of his customers have had no problems but one other guy besides my friend is having similar problems.

I did check to drive and gear and it spun freely with no binding or play.
Any updates on this ?
Old 06-01-2019, 09:03 AM

Also can anybody confirm if the Bendix cover is easy to remove?
Mine basically needs to be pry'd away
Same with reinstallation, it won't go on by hand and I need to use the bolts of the cover to "press" it all back in
Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 PM

Mine goes back with fingers, not much force needed.

My bike just doesn't start with e-start, it has decent crancking speed, but no spark. I saw 2 other 2018 bikes, these did start even with cold engines, i tried their starter's, nothing, mine doesn't work. Can anyone post part numbers for latest flywheel and cdi for 2018? Those other bikes, that started, had different codes on the underside of cdi so i belive they have other flywheels also. Can one use 2019 model cdi and flywheel, many say, that 2019 do not have e-start problems like 2018, some versions of enduros come without kickstart and the starter is same.....

On my opinion spark just comes on too high rpm for decent starting, these bikes that started with e-start had also weak or little bit intermittent spark on cranking. Something is messing up spark generation, dunno why.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
Mine goes back with fingers, not much force needed.

My bike just doesn't start with e-start, it has decent crancking speed, but no spark. I saw 2 other 2018 bikes, these did start even with cold engines, i tried their starter's, nothing, mine doesn't work. Can anyone post part numbers for latest flywheel and cdi for 2018? Those other bikes, that started, had different codes on the underside of cdi so i belive they have other flywheels also. Can one use 2019 model cdi and flywheel, many say, that 2019 do not have e-start problems like 2018, some versions of enduros come without kickstart and the starter is same.....

On my opinion spark just comes on too high rpm for decent starting, these bikes that started with e-start had also weak or little bit intermittent spark on cranking. Something is messing up spark generation, dunno why.
Your issue sounds like a spark related issue which can be fixed by asking your dealer about the ground cable upgrade and the cdi reflash
Old 06-02-2019, 12:54 AM

Update on my bendix cover - This morning it was fine to take on and off....It was very cold the night I had it off so maybe everything was just a bit tight...
Old 06-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Ground has already done, for cdi reflash, i need to know, which software works and do i need new flywheel also.