Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Default Opinions on seat options unresolved in forum search

Thanks for reading, I am near in tears over this 2011 ec seat. The bike is awesome, but I have conditioned, sat, rode, moved around, honestly all I can think of, but an hour on this bike and I quit riding. I have rode since '75, I've rode "adult" size bikes '84, and still actively ride the '84. I can ride my IT for 8+ hours a day, when my buddies are at the trailer shaking their heads, I'm still out riding, not now....

I am down to two options;

guts racing tall seat
lots of great reviews, I have a pretty good grasp that money wise this is a decent buy, but no info at all on 1/2 or 1 inch steps, this evening I was out working on my "problem" again by riding around the yard for yet another hour sitting down and moving back/forth. I got bored.....and moved over to my poles and man, the first pole I didn't load the ass right and she came up and nailed my freakin tailbone hard, had to be the dang bolt, it is just brutal. So anyone tried the steps for both grasp, movement, and opinion on general movement around the bike with one installed?

Fisher seat modification;
great write up on this site, but I have been unable to find any answers to how movement around the bike is with these "wings" to the rear. I have measured my IT, my XL, my TT, even my old YZ have alot more "seat width" than that gasser, (rear 50% of the seat is generally 7-8ish) but they are all an even progressive taper (averaging around 5ish at the tank and tapering back to the mid line straight width). Has anyone else tried the fisher mod and have an opinion on the movement about the bike? I still want to stay very mobile on the bike, I shift around alot and enjoy some light motocross and would run vintage type tracks till my palms bled if my wife didn't make me come home regularly.

I do spend a fair amount of time on the seat, I run in the eastern woods, so honestly other than top end A riders I see, I truly don't think I spend more time on the seat than I truly would be expected to given the conditions I ride.

Again, opinions would be appreciated, this is but my second water cooled bike, I hope to enjoy it for a solid 10-15 years before it stacks in line with my other toys and I start tweaking on another. At this point, I am seriously upset with my decision, I have to find a viable option to make this otherwise extremely good machine work for me.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

You're seriously upset with your decision to buy a bike that you're impressed with with exception to the seat? C'mon now.. it must be the sore bum talking

I've put heaps of kms on my 2010 which runs the same seat and have had no issues (apart from the cover tearing at the tank from knees gripping too hard). I do stand up most the time though. I can't offer much more to this thread than what you've already stated. I think Guts have options for tall or std, and soft or std foams. It sounds like you'd definately like the soft. From the report I read on the fisher it sounds like the op was extremely happy with the workmanship of the product. Much more comfortable and reported no issues when standing or with mobility on the bike.

Hopefully some others can chime in with some first hand experience to help make your decision easier. A stiff seat is an easy fix in the grand scheme of things. In the mean time keep the vasoline lathered!

PS. Getting kicked up the rear from a pole/log hop isn't the seats fault. Make sure you spend the time to dial in the suspension. New springs front and rear if required for your weight, sag set, and tweak the clickers to get you close to where you need to be. The engine can benefit from some head mods and basic jettings (however neither are required - just make a great bike better). Suspension is where its at. Let the wheels move under the bike and you won't even realise you're sitting on a plank.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM

I had a pleasant conversation with Fisher, I will send them my seat here presently and post a review, and pictures if I an figure that out after some "seat time" with it.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Nice one! Look forward to the report!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM

The '07 seat was the worst. '08 was good, I got one of those and swapped it.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Don't feel bad, I have had to go to tall soft seats on my last three bikes. I have had monkey butt so bad I dreaded to wipe my ass! I have gone all three time with the Guts tall soft foam and the tall seat cover. The Guts website is rather confusing so it is best to just call them and tell them what you want. I think EE offers a soft tall also. Here is a pic of my 11 300 six days with the tall soft.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The '07 seat was the worst. '08 was good, I got one of those and swapped it.
Wait until you feel the 12 seat. It's a 2x4. It is skinny though compared to the previous models. I will be looking for something softer or may try to get some type of firm high density Gel custom installed.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:59 PM

I can't wait. My Cannondale was like that, super skinny and very hard, like sitting on a railroad tie. I pulled the cover and drilled holes in the foam with a wood bit. Those are the worst monkey butt makers, even if you don't sit too much. From what was said it may be tough to go softer without going higher as its very thin stock.