Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

Have heard similar things myself, but in application I am yet to see any issues and you'd be hard pressed to find a more humid tropical environment than what I live in; rainforest.

A bit off topic, but certain types of ATF also have this same property, yet you rarely hear it brought up during transmission discussions.

Also, are you better off having the moly component (which is only a small percentage) absorb any water which makes it's way into the area and then become suspended within the grease content? Belray waterproof repells the water, but once it finds its way in it tends to make direct contact with the parts you are trying to keep the moisture away from.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but from my experience I have had to replace bearings which were packed with belray, and non yet with moly. Both being serviced at similar intervals, used in the same conditions... submerged in water every ride, and left standing in humid conditions when not in use.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:35 AM

Added an edit to my post near start of thread. Realized I missed a key point.

After the bike gets wet, a bit of WD40 on the pivot points etc. goes a long way to helping the grease/anti seize do its job. After I wash my bike, or if I've been in a bunch of deep water & mud during a ride, I squirt a bit of WD40 on each side of each pivot point & on each axle seal. This helps get any water out that may have taken up residence. It also helps keep the grease mix from gumming up over time. It only takes about a minute to do the bike each time.

One other thing - it really helps to avoid using power washers to clean your bike. Household water pressure is best.

The process of grease/anti seize/WD40 is really just about keeping water & goo from taking up residence in the pivot points & protecting the small parts and lube that's in each pivot.
It's easy and cheap to do so & saves you a bunch of grief & cash over the life of the bike.

I've been doing this method for about 7-8 years now on suspension, steering and wheels. I usually put 80-120 hours a year on my bikes and usually keep them for 3-5 years. I ride in all types of conditions. In that time I've only ever had to replace one steering head bearing on one bike & that was because I got lazy and didn't check the steering head bearings on that bike as part of my annual checks.
Never have had to replace any wheel or suspension bearings.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:10 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...t=Synergyseals