Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:10 AM

I hear ya. I never really recovered from last years ISDE. This years season was a wash. I did a few races but never got up to speed. My hands were still giving me trouble and my mind wasn't in it. I really want to try for next years ISDE. I think Port. will be cool. It is bow hunting season right now so I am occupied from here until freeze up, the the trelles go on.

Brian

Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 AM

Over the years I've known quite a few really fast guys in their 20s who've left the sport. Off-road racing is physically, mentally, mechanically and financially challenging. Some leave to persue other interests and never ride again. Others just enjoy trail riding without the pressure of racing.

I may not be fast, but I definitely know the feeling of being burned out. I still like to compete, but find that it really cuts into family time. Therefore I usually end up just going trail riding with friends. A bad day riding is still better than a good day working.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:27 AM

The best times I've had on a bike were with friends just trailriding from my house. I don't have the time, skill, or $$ to chase points every week, and just turning 50 it isn't going to get any better. All I've ever done was a few races a year with friends and had a good time. Right now I miss it bad as I've been off the bike since April.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslbri View Post
I hear ya. I never really recovered from last years ISDE. This years season was a wash. I did a few races but never got up to speed. My hands were still giving me trouble and my mind wasn't in it. I really want to try for next years ISDE. I think Port. will be cool. It is bow hunting season right now so I am occupied from here until freeze up, the the trelles go on.

Brian
I may be in Portugal pre-riding for Team Canada and running media (I did that for a friend at the Romaniacs and a lot of people really liked my work so I may do more in the future) during the ISDE, but I doubt I'll race it. Since I got back from Europe I've been enjoying actually having a social life and pursuing a few other interests besides racing all the time.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslbri View Post

Brian
Did you have hand issues after the ISDE? Even running flexx bars, my hands were mostly numb by the end of the six days. I just finally regained feeling in the last finger maybe a week ago.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM

Cant say i have ever been tired of ridding. Then again i am 16 and stupid and have nothing else to do right now anyways. Then again I did not get to try even a single race this year because i was too busy all year.

Next season will be different thoe, i am going to race Junior in the PNWMA all the races and the Quesnel 24 hour. I am going to get in shape over the winter, get a jop, and turn my bike into a race bike and get a sponsor from somewhere possibly. I cant wait to ride again seeings how its way too cold to ride now.

So I hope you the best and that I see you racing sometime next season because I need to talk to at least one other Gasgas rider.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I don't get tired of riding and racing, but all the preps and washing and bike maintenance does tend to get a little tiring. I live at 62°30'N, (thats at the same lat as Yellowknife, Canada) and the hours of daylight are now decreeasing at an alarming rate. Within a few months we will be down to less than 6h of daylight. The darkness really gets to me, and when I get home from work there is simply no energy left to go riding. I just creep up in the sofa playing XboxLive with my kid.(great fun too).

When we get snow we northern europeans shine up a little as it gets much lighter and also the lazy season of bike riding starts. No need to wash the bike and gear after every ride, just put them in the garage and let them dry.

Looking forward to that now. Only one race left on the dirt season, a three hour day and night run. Then it's service period, too wet and dirty for studded tires, and risk of ice rules out running summer tires, so we have time for a teardown and a good overhaul before the snow season.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 PM

"Did you have hand issues after the ISDE? Even running flexx bars, my hands were mostly numb by the end of the six days. I just finally regained feeling in the last finger maybe a week ago."

Yes, I had major problems with my hands. I could ride for about 10 minutes before the would start to hurt then go numb. Major pain while riding. That alone was one of my reasons for taking it easy. It was a pain that went fron my elbow, through the palm of my hand, and to the tips of my pointer, middle, and ring fingers. For weeks/ months after Chile I could barely pick up a decent size bag without dropping it. (gripping with my fingers) No finger strength and lots of pain in my palm.

Brian