Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Lighting not working

basicly my 2004 ec250 when i bought it, the front and rear light worked

but i went to start the bike one day and the light came on and was flickering loads, i thought it was because the bike was cold and then it worked normaly after riding it.

but i think that was the start of a problem because now after riding to work and back...no lights come on at all.

i dont think its the bulb as rear light dosn't work either
ive checked for earthing but can't see anything.
ive got alot of free wires as i dont have a speedo, but everything seems to be connected... i can upload pictures if its easier butt any ideas anyone?

i realise it could be a massive list of problems, but i could do with a point in the right direction as im crap when it comes to sparky!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilksiee View Post
basicly my 2004 ec250 when i bought it, the front and rear light worked

but i went to start the bike one day and the light came on and was flickering loads, i thought it was because the bike was cold and then it worked normaly after riding it.

but i think that was the start of a problem because now after riding to work and back...no lights come on at all.

i dont think its the bulb as rear light dosn't work either
ive checked for earthing but can't see anything.
ive got alot of free wires as i dont have a speedo, but everything seems to be connected... i can upload pictures if its easier butt any ideas anyone?

i realise it could be a massive list of problems, but i could do with a point in the right direction as im crap when it comes to sparky!
I am assuming your stator puts out an AC signal. Since you can ride it, we know the ignition works. Start at the regulator/rectifier. Check for power going in, and power going out(and @ what voltage). If that checks out, then you have the task of running down each wire, and checking every connection. You may have to remove all of the bodywork & fuel cell. It's a tedious pain, but not difficult. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM

brillant thanks!...sorry to sound so retarded but where do you think i would find the regulator/rectifier.

and want can i used to messure what goes and and what goes out, will the bike have to be running whilst trying to get a reading?

Thanks your help is appreciated.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM

is there a fuse anywhere, i can't seem to see anythign other than, cdi under seat and coil and wires!!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:05 PM

anyone? im stuck not being able to use this bike at night time...

oh the horn doesn't work either
Old 03-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Your regulator might be in frame bolted with ignition coil (it should be, that small black box if original). You should test voltage for example from your front coupling. Maybe someone here can tell exact voltages that there should be I think it should be under 15v when rpm's are about 6000. It's AC voltage if you don't have battery in your bike...

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...

Last edited by GasTimppa; 03-07-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: typos (again)
Old 03-07-2012, 02:53 PM

yes theres a black box next to ignition coil...
test voltage from front coupling?

im gunna have a mess round see what i can do :L
Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM

to test voltage, you'll need a basic AC/DC multimeter. read the instuctions that come with the unit(it'll save a lot of time). they very inexpensive, and will save hours of frustration. find the section of wiring that runs from the stator to the regulator(mine is in the airbox...no battery). next, find the connection from the regulator out to the accessories i.e. lights, etc. unplug the harness from the reg. and check voltage coming from said regulator. work your way out toward the accessories, checking for voltage at each connection. look for telltale marks on the wires themselves, like sharp bends, or creases in the wire indicating a possible break. also look for discoloration in the wire insulation coloring. that would indicate a short, and the wire getting hot. electrical issues are usually not that tough to figure out, but they do require patience, and attention to small details.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM

bowhunter, great help and well explained!
ill let you know how i get on
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 AM

You might also pay attention to the wires where they attach to the pins inside the plastic junctions/connectors. My lights quit working over time and when I finally decided to check it out I started by checking the connections. Gentle tugging on the wires at the connectors and before I knew it I had a handful of seperated wires. They were never crimped well and were all coming loose from the pins. But they all appeared fine visually.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)