Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Question Air Filter Foam Glue

Anyone have any experience in gluing air filter foam, and what glue works best? Not a GasGas application. I'm putting velocity stacks and large K&N conical pod filters on my Hypermotard to replace the restrictive airbox/filter. I'm not big fan of K&Ns but thats what fits over the stacks, so I'm making a pair of foam "pre filters" to fit over the top of the K&Ns. I just need to glue the foam pattern edge to edge. I plan to use No-Toil filter oil on the completed filter. Thanks guys.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Pro Honda weatherstrip adhesive would be good to use - it is not affected by fuel.

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Jeff,

That or the nasty to remove grip glue were my thoughts. Fuel is not really an issue, the alcohol carrier of the No-Toil filter oil is though. I would not want to use what Uni does as their filters fail with No-Toil, at least the older ones did. No catastrophe if it did though.

In addition to better filtration, this will allow me to just prop the front of the tank up and slip the foam(s) off for easy cleaning, the pods can be cleaned if needed at the valve service interval when the tank must be removed (a real PIA).
Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM

I've used regular hot melt glue to re glue filters that came apart and they are holding up well after repeated cleanings.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 PM

That was another thought, thanks for the input. So far I have a couple samples bonded with grip glue and weatherstrip contact cement. After they cure overnight, tommorrow I'll try the No-Toil and see if they hold up. I'll add the hot melt to the experiment.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM

Hot melt worked fine here, too.
2 years running on the one that got hung up in the clothes dryer.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

You should be able to get UniFilters that fit the stacks, and friends dont let friends use NoToil.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:48 PM

Hot melt it was and worked fine. Faster too. I made a paper pattern first, then cut the foam. Fit perfect. Nick, whats your beef with No-Toil? I've used it for years with excellent results. You have to shake the oil well before application, and allow the carrier to completely evaporate before mounting the filter so it does not "pool" in the bottom of the filter. A few minutes with an old hair drier works fine.

The K&N pods were part of the kit along with crank breather and IAC (idle air)filters.

This is what the bike needed to balance the exhaust, picked up torque across the range and will allow eaiser maintanence.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Your probably one out of a thousand that does it right. I work on stuff everyday and see what happens when its not done right or not done often enough.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I can see it being a problem if not done right, but the way I do it I have never, ever had dirt past the filter and my motors look great inside.