Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
got myself a 2012 ec250e that i love to death. Owned it for almost 2 years. It has alot of hours on it from previous owner but she still rips.

For the last 2 rides I've changed out my needle to one from a jd jet kit (blue? Maybe red?) And it feels more responsive. The jetting on my bike is about there but not exactly perfect. I get a bit of spooge out of my exhaust (less after new needle.) And im 1/8th turn out on air/fuel screw. 160 main. 2nd pos. 40 pilot ride at 500-2500ft elevation CURENTLY. High hopes of some future high desert riding...

So now it's got me thinking. Do i spend a couple bucks and get a couple jets and get this thing running solid. Or shall I just bite the bullet and get a lectron. I hope I can get some feedback from those who have lectrons or other alternatives to the standard carb.

I guess I just really like the "set it, and forget it" aspect of the lectron vs pwk. It would be nice to load up and drive to somewhere with 3500-5000+ ft elevation and not worry too much.
Before spending a lot of money I'd re-consider the jetting of the current carb. If the AS (air screw) is out only 1/8 turn it is very obvious that something is pretty wrong. A normal setting would be between 1.25 and 2.25 turns out. So something is wrong and if you are lucky it is only the size of the pilot jet.

Even if I get kicked now I can tell you "set and forget" is a myth and only works if you can forget that your Lectron is not set perfectly. I have installed and set up a few so I know what I am talking about. The Lectron remains unimpressed for big altitude changes but a Keihin is only a tad worse. If money plays no role get a Lectron and forget everything you have ever learned about carbs when setting it up.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Before spending a lot of money I'd re-consider the jetting of the current carb. If the AS (air screw) is out only 1/8 turn it is very obvious that something is pretty wrong. A normal setting would be between 1.25 and 2.25 turns out. So something is wrong and if you are lucky it is only the size of the pilot jet.

Even if I get kicked now I can tell you "set and forget" is a myth and only works if you can forget that your Lectron is not set perfectly. I have installed and set up a few so I know what I am talking about. The Lectron remains unimpressed for big altitude changes but a Keihin is only a tad worse. If money plays no role get a Lectron and forget everything you have ever learned about carbs when setting it up.
Yes my 40 pilot is definitely on the lean side. I was planning on going riding at higher elevation but ended up not going. Got a 45, 48 and 50 pilot coming in the mail.

I think Im gonna try a few different jets and needles first just to see how it does. My bike does have alot of hours on it from previous owner and me. Luckily a lectron/smart carb fits other 2 smoker bikes with 38mm carb right??
Old 07-16-2020, 10:33 AM

Yes, a Lectron is not bike specific, it will fit more than only one brand.

Hope you also ordered a 42 pilot jet.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, a Lectron is not bike specific, it will fit more than only one brand

Hope you also ordered a 42 pilot jet.
Bike came with a 42 jet. It was only 1 turn.

Now I got a 40, 42, 45, and 48. Gonna try the 45 first.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:20 AM

I see. Hope you get it sorted, let us know how things develop....
Old 08-07-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I see. Hope you get it sorted, let us know how things develop....
Well i swapped over to a 45 pilot and a 158 main. Bike ran much worse with the 45 pilot. Couldn't get the air screw dialed in. Swapped back over to the 40 with quarter turn out. Bike seems to like that setting the most.

Is there a danger in running too rich on the top end? I seem to be getting alot of spooge out of the tailpipe. It makes a mess but otherwise the bike seems to rip. I loose motivation to make changes in jetting when the bike runs already so well. Expect for the spooge...

Got a extended air screw and idle screw coming in the mail which should make things alot easier...Gonna keep trying different jets i guess...
Old 08-07-2020, 01:38 AM

Too rich on the top is not dangerous but the bike won’t rev out full. The spooge can be a reason because of the rich mixture and or of the used oil

Send from iPhone with Tapatalk
The Phownix Must burn to emerge
Old 08-07-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Well i swapped over to a 45 pilot and a 158 main. Bike ran much worse with the 45 pilot. Couldn't get the air screw dialed in. Swapped back over to the 40 with quarter turn out. Bike seems to like that setting the most.

Is there a danger in running too rich on the top end? I seem to be getting alot of spooge out of the tailpipe. It makes a mess but otherwise the bike seems to rip. I loose motivation to make changes in jetting when the bike runs already so well. Expect for the spooge...

Got a extended air screw and idle screw coming in the mail which should make things alot easier...Gonna keep trying different jets i guess...
158 main seems to be pretty small. What needle are you currently running and which clip position? As it has been said, too rich on top isn't a problem and it will not destroy your engine. Quarter turn on AS sounds strange but if it runs well it is probably ok.
Which oil are are you using and do you know its flash point?
Old 04-07-2021, 11:20 AM

Wanted to give an update. Tore the bike down for the winter, New top end, crank seals, gaskets, oil seals, wheel bearings, custom spring rates for suspension, tons of other things...went ahead and got the JD jet kit, was surprised that the pilot jet recommendation was a 40, even though I knew from experience it was too lean. I believe I put a 48 or a 50 pilot in, and now I'm about 1-1.5 turns out on air screw, bike is running better, but by that what I mean is I'm still having pretty weak bottom end power. The bike doesn't stall or bog, but it also doesn't pull very hard from 1/4th to 1/2 throttle. Infact it builds rpms very slow unless you slip the clutch.

During the rebuild I put a (biggest?) .50 base gasket in for a low compression, but reliable build. Is that a mistake?

Going to check the power valve action this weekend and make sure its all working good.

I told A guy on a Facebook group about my issues, he thinks the carburetor on my bike is just old and worn out. He strongly suggests just buying a new carburetor. So now the jump to a lectron is still in my mind.

Right now I have 180 main jet. I think a 50 pilot, JD jetting red needle, 4th position, burning 50:1 redline racing 2 stoke mix, riding sea level to 2500ft.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:46 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Wanted to give an update. T

During the rebuild I put a (biggest?) .50 base gasket in for a low compression, but reliable build. Is that a mistake?
That all depends on how the head is machined. With a standard head I would think you get too big squish and improper burn of the fuel / difficult jetting. Did you measure the squish?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc