Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 PM

Default Lectron vs. PWK.

got myself a 2012 ec250e that i love to death. Owned it for almost 2 years. It has alot of hours on it from previous owner but she still rips.

For the last 2 rides I've changed out my needle to one from a jd jet kit (blue? Maybe red?) And it feels more responsive. The jetting on my bike is about there but not exactly perfect. I get a bit of spooge out of my exhaust (less after new needle.) And im 1/8th turn out on air/fuel screw. 160 main. 2nd pos. 40 pilot ride at 500-2500ft elevation CURENTLY. High hopes of some future high desert riding...

So now it's got me thinking. Do i spend a couple bucks and get a couple jets and get this thing running solid. Or shall I just bite the bullet and get a lectron. I hope I can get some feedback from those who have lectrons or other alternatives to the standard carb.

I guess I just really like the "set it, and forget it" aspect of the lectron vs pwk. It would be nice to load up and drive to somewhere with 3500-5000+ ft elevation and not worry too much.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

I have the SmartCarb.
No fooling with jetting is awesome.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
I have the SmartCarb.
No fooling with jetting is awesome.
What bike did you put it on? How was the fitment?
Old 07-13-2020, 01:30 AM

I have the lectron on my 18 XC300 and love it. The set it amd forget it is nice although I still like trying different things. Like recently I went to a different metering rod and love it. I live at 200ft above sea level and have had it over 6k ft and it runs great. Super responsive and instant torque.

https://youtu.be/535W3ZDWgwM
Old 07-13-2020, 08:01 AM

I like the set and forget it nature of the Lectron but I know I give up some throttle response and a little power because of it. 2011 EC250R
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 07-13-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I like the set and forget it nature of the Lectron but I know I give up some throttle response and a little power because of it. 2011 EC250R
I disagree with that, my throttle response is almost electric and don't feel I gave up any power, it is more linear for the most part but doesn't feel any weaker at all. I honestly think it depends on how you have it adjusted. It is a set it and forget it carb but you still have to set it and their stock settings don't always work the best for some people.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
What bike did you put it on? How was the fitment?
2018 GG 250.
100% bolt on.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM_OFFROAD View Post
I disagree with that, my throttle response is almost electric and don't feel I gave up any power, it is more linear for the most part but doesn't feel any weaker at all. I honestly think it depends on how you have it adjusted. It is a set it and forget it carb but you still have to set it and their stock settings don't always work the best for some people.
All I can tell you is that between both of my 250's the one with the PWK would pull the front wheel with ease and was explosive once in the power band. The Lectron bike I have to work to get the front up and, yes, the power may actually be the same but it sure doesn't act like it. I do believe my Lectron needs more tuning as Rick admits he likes his bikes running fat when I bought it from him. I was still trying to get it tuned more to my liking when I had my accident so I haven't been back to it yet.

You saying it is almost electric demonstrates my point on throttle response. A properly tuned PWK is instant snap whereas the Lectron is softer. You can argue about which throttle response type is better but there is no argument on which gives actual better throttle response.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 07-13-2020, 06:30 PM

Do not rule out the STIC metering block for your Keihin as an option as well.

I installed the STIC on my 2018 Gas Gas 250 a couple of weeks ago and just got the jetting dialed yesterday. I was a little skeptical at the beginning, but after getting the jetting correct I am very impressed. I rode the bike yesterday with temperatures from mid 70's to mid 90's and elevations from 4000' to 7,500'. Bike ran cleanly all day.

I will write a more thorough review when I have a chance.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
All I can tell you is that between both of my 250's the one with the PWK would pull the front wheel with ease and was explosive once in the power band. The Lectron bike I have to work to get the front up and, yes, the power may actually be the same but it sure doesn't act like it. I do believe my Lectron needs more tuning as Rick admits he likes his bikes running fat when I bought it from him. I was still trying to get it tuned more to my liking when I had my accident so I haven't been back to it yet.

You saying it is almost electric demonstrates my point on throttle response. A properly tuned PWK is instant snap whereas the Lectron is softer. You can argue about which throttle response type is better but there is no argument on which gives actual better throttle response.
with the "recommended" 4-3m metering rod I agree with you 100% even though I think we both have different takes on what throttle response means but from your description I agree it was soft of the bottom. I recently switched to the 5-1 which is leaner off the bottom and richer mid range as well as a steeper richening curve. With that rod, my RK tek head, Ported Cyl, HoH full exhaust....holy crap. It is far from soft anywhere. My 300 is snappy like a 250. I actually need to dial back the power valve because for technical stuff its a little too much for me to be honest.