Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:48 AM

Default top end piece of mind...

so dumb me, had my "pre-mix only" jug sitting in the garage over last winter. ive been using maxima 927 so no real color change when mixed.. im sure you know where this is going. some where over the winter i must have used the jug for the snowsled, dumped it in the bike this spring. started it, ran like shit, shut it off. tried again went for short ride down the drive way and knew i had facked up.

instantly dumped the right amount of oil in and phew, started ran fine! didnt get alot of riding in this summer but prob put 10 hard hours (one instance of making some new single where it overheated even) with no problems.

was out ripping WOT yesterday and started to hear funny "flattering" noise in the top end with some odd power surges. started limping home with some more odd noises. stopped looked like 1/4 tank left, but said what the hell and flipped the res on. bike ran great after, with out issue.

at this point tho i am just going to do the top end to alleviate any concerns.

20 years riding and first time ive pulled that bonner move, at least it hasnt completely grenaded yet.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:40 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

My solution to his is to add just a bit of IPONE strawberry-scented synthetic 2T oil in every batch i mix. If i smell strawberry, i know that I am running mix gas.

My motorcycle mix goes in the snowblower in the winter. That way, i have fresh gas in the spring for the bike, and i smell strawberry in the winter.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
My solution to his is to add just a bit of IPONE strawberry-scented synthetic 2T oil in every batch i mix. If i smell strawberry, i know that I am running mix gas.

My motorcycle mix goes in the snowblower in the winter. That way, i have fresh gas in the spring for the bike, and i smell strawberry in the winter.
not a bad idea.... i studded up and rode well into winter last year, cant believe i even used that can for the sled but must have been a desperate "need to go and go now!" situation.

i think i might switch back to something blue, altho the 927 does also smell great while weed wacking .

the bike really runs fine but at this point i dont want to chance it. top end now will be cheaper than potential explosion later.