Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 09-01-2015, 08:05 PM

Default Return x Compression

I would like to know the opinion of suspension experts about this product:

http://racetech.com/html_files/SMRS-...%20Valves.html

I would like to know the opinion of suspension experts about this product:

I'm interested in this product, because the return influences the setting too low compression set. Let me explain:

Adjusting the return with 12 clicks, I realize that the suspension is soft as you like, however the return is very fast, transmitting insecurity at high speeds in a bumpy terrain. Closing the return to 8 clicks, this uncertainty is over, however the suspension is hard, sending many blows to the back and losing traction. I tried to open more low-speed compression clicks when returning this more closed, but did not have the outcome that I seek.

In short, how to u can not influence so significantly in the low-speed compression?

This product promises to link this, someone has used? Adapt it for a Sachs shock absorber think it's not too hard because I have a friend who has a CNC center and could make the measurements for schock Sachs.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the Sachs shocks already have a rebound separator setup.

Looking at how the rebound clicker functions, it is simply a tapered needle and a seat within the damper rod. Closing the rebound closes the needle against the seat. Opening it allows more fluid to bypass.

Now, this setup allows fluid to bypass the piston (and stacks) in both directions, which is why you feel the effect on the compression stroke as well. In many shocks if you remove the spring and close the rebound you will notice that the shock will go rigid.

The rebound is simply a check valve, which stops/reduces fluid bypass on the compression stroke. This way adjusting the rebound has less/no effect on the comp. Needs to be setup with a softer compression stack to compensate.

So its not really as simple as a bolt it on and go. You still need to work with the separator bleed, and the compression stack to come to a better setup than stock. My personal approach is simply to beef up the rebound to allow the stack to function well with the clicker open to a point where it doesn't interfer as much with the compression.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Jakobi, thank you.

My shock was worked by my mechanic. I will check it to see if this model already has this separate feedback loop. What I noticed in the tests is to tighten the return click to the maximum and compress with the hand hanging it does not return, is fully compressed, what I imagine to be completely normal.

I could not get to the setting you desire dealing only with the combination of return and compression clicks.

As I understand it, and to include this component (if you have not you originally) it takes a new configuration of blades, right?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Yes! When I say beef up the rebound, I mean revalve the stack to be substantially firmer. Either through adding face shims, increasing thickness of shims, or clamping on a larger OD shim, or any combination of the above.

Note that the Ohlins 888 is probably one of the wost for this crossover effect. Starts to have negative impacts on comp anywhere from around 16 clicks out on rebound. I've set mine up to run around 22clicks.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:24 PM

I had one fitted to my '11 Sachs shock. I fitted it along with a gold valve when it developed the piston fade issue. As Jake mentioned the Sachs shock already has its own type of reb separator valve being a ball bearing on a spring. It isn't as effective as the racetech one in that it won't react to the change from compression flow to rebound flow as fast but it still works well. I wouldn't bother spending money on the racetech valve, just spend the time and money on extra rebound shims instead.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC
Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Yes! When I say beef up the rebound, I mean revalve the stack to be substantially firmer. Either through adding face shims, increasing thickness of shims, or clamping on a larger OD shim, or any combination of the above.

Note that the Ohlins 888 is probably one of the wost for this crossover effect. Starts to have negative impacts on comp anywhere from around 16 clicks out on rebound. I've set mine up to run around 22clicks.
Jakobi, in my case the return begins to intererir in compression with only 9 clicks. As I understand it, I need to ask my mechanic to create a new configuration in return blades which makes the wider adjustment range, right? It will probably also need a new setting in the compression blades, what do you think?
Old 09-02-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_green View Post
I had one fitted to my '11 Sachs shock. I fitted it along with a gold valve when it developed the piston fade issue. As Jake mentioned the Sachs shock already has its own type of reb separator valve being a ball bearing on a spring. It isn't as effective as the racetech one in that it won't react to the change from compression flow to rebound flow as fast but it still works well. I wouldn't bother spending money on the racetech valve, just spend the time and money on extra rebound shims instead.
Thank you for the advice. If it costs little to manufacture a part of these, do you think it would be worth installing it along with a new configuration of the blades?
Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

I'd personally make one change at a time, but they can evaluate the stacks. If you just say that you want more rebound control to allow you to run the clicker open further they should know exactly how to go about it.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 AM

Thank Jakobi.

I questioned about the compression because I like to have arguments when I ask something to my mechanic, which I trust completely.

Next week I will send shock for him, once you have it in hand and have made some tests will give my feedback.