Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

my battery is good, same issue of free spinning with battery jumped to hot start.
I didn't see how to get the spring out without removing the clip on the down end of the bendix and I started to bugger that up pretty good so I stopped.

so, question one: how to get that damn clip out.

question two: how to get the spring out with out first removing the damn clip?

Thanks
Rob

Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 AM

That clip is wound very tight in the groove. The manufacturer must have a single pass insertion tool that gets it installed perfectly. I didn't take mine off as I was sure I'd never get it back on snug.

I think Roscoe is referring to stretching the spring while it's still assembled. He must have moved the cover pieces enough to get at the spring. Stretching the spring would only help if you have a "fail to release after cranking" problem. The stronger spring would tend to retract the bendix faster. Based on my experience I thought the spring tension was about right and I left it alone. Shimming the cover makes more sense so the bendix gear has good play to the ring gear.

To me a stronger spring would actually make it harder for the bendix to engage when cranking. May I suggest something else? What about testing the cranking by jumping directly at the motor? This means leaving the plastic cover off. Pop the aluminum spacers out of the cover or use different bolts to hold everything together. Does it work any better if you put the jumper cable right on the motor stud? This would bypass any issue like poor connections.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 PM

That clip is a pain! My bendix quit extending out of the blue one day. I took it apart and cleaned it and it started working again. I wonder if some of these problems are that the bendix isn't free enough causing enough drag for them not to extend.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 AM

I tried using the battery charger in start mode and no diff. It is not even trying to hit the crank gear or sound or if it is it is never engaging . I think that the clutch / throw-out on the bendix is bad, but will try jumping direct to motor next. Thanks
Rob
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Site Sponsor

Rob, The spring that I am talking about is the upper weight spring. It is a long skinny spring that wraps around the centrifugal weights. In order to see it you have to have the bendix gear extended out in the engaged position. We work on alot of polaris's with this same type of bendix so I am very familiar with them and have a pretty clear understanding of how they work.
Like I said though, I was getting tired of mine not working and felt that I had nothing to loose. If you are not familiar with these type of bendix's I would advise you not to mess with it.
I will get on gofasters website today and see if that spring is available. I would atleast make sure a new spring is available before I took a chance on ruining the one thats already on there.
The assembly clip on the end is a pain to get off and I wouldn't advise taking it off. Its a one time clip and will not retain its shape when you go to reinstall it.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM

I guess the question for Rob is: Do you get a "gear buzz" from the pinion running on the ring gear OR do you just get a "starter whine"?

Starter whine means that the sprag elements are not grabbing, so tightening the upper spring can help force them into contact and drive the shaft. If a tiny flat is worn on the edge of the sprags, it takes more spring force to make them hookup.

Gear buzz means the the sprag elements are working and the starting motor does not have enough zip to "force" the gear engagement. This usually indicates a weak battery.

It's a tricky balance of forces because the pinion is already turning when it is moving to engage the ring gear. Bendix systems usually have a bit of gear clashing noise during meshing.

The info here shows how the sprags elements pivot to lock up http://www.gmnbt.com/freewheel.htm
Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
I guess the question for Rob is: Do you get a "gear buzz" from the pinion running on the ring gear OR do you just get a "starter whine"?

Starter whine means that the sprag elements are not grabbing, so tightening the upper spring can help force them into contact and drive the shaft. If a tiny flat is worn on the edge of the sprags, it takes more spring force to make them hookup.

Gear buzz means the the sprag elements are working and the starting motor does not have enough zip to "force" the gear engagement. This usually indicates a weak battery.

It's a tricky balance of forces because the pinion is already turning when it is moving to engage the ring gear. Bendix systems usually have a bit of gear clashing noise during meshing.

The info here shows how the sprags elements pivot to lock up http://www.gmnbt.com/freewheel.htm
Just whine, no gear grind or bump. I will try bypassing the battery tonight and see what happens. I have a very good battery in the KTM that I can move over for a test. but I have also put the charger in "start" mode which puts out quite a few amps. On the KTM bendix, I can spin it by and and with a little load it will extend, the GG bendix just slips and never really tries to extend and if I manually pull it out and where it would tend to lock on the ktm, it just spins with no drag. I am starting to think that the clutching bits aren't working and are slipping.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 AM

That certainly suggests the upper spring is not squeezing the sprags enough. Use a car batttery for jumping (more capacity than any battery charger).
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Hall's is trying to locate a part. Sent Clay a note to see if there were any alternate sources locally. Kind of like that $200 porsche ignition switch that you can get at VW for $80 and that they actually have in stock

Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 AM

I have a new bendix coming from Hall's. Will report back.