Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:28 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Hi All,
Have been following all the advice on the forum for my 2018 starter.And eventually I have had a win!
Background-Brought it with the stock battery from a dealer with 50hrs on.Sometimes work when hot but never cold or in gear.
Upgraded leads & put in a 160cca battery (up from 135cca)-marginal improvement.
Removed bendix & lightened the spring,polished the inside,cleaned & lubed the gears,made sure they were not binding- a little better but inconsistent.
Got a AS3 bendix cover (really nice gear)- when hot worked better.
Put in a Shorei 210cca battery one night & hit the starter.To my surprise it started,nearly shit myself & woke up the household.Rode this weekend & it started every time with a stab of the button.Even started in gear!
Don't give up hope on your starter!

Old 10-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Update on my starter system:
Had the dealer do ALL the pre delivery updates (2018 ec300). Was informed on pickup that it was even firing cold on their battery, the reality is it wasn't. Took it out on saturday, it was slightly easier to start via kicker, but only had joy starting on the electric leg once. I had the dealer throw in the biggest AGM they could get. Maybe I should try a big lithium now? Not sure if I want to keep the bike long term now, shame as it rides fantastic.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:03 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez View Post
Update on my starter system:
Had the dealer do ALL the pre delivery updates (2018 ec300). Was informed on pickup that it was even firing cold on their battery, the reality is it wasn't. Took it out on saturday, it was slightly easier to start via kicker, but only had joy starting on the electric leg once. I had the dealer throw in the biggest AGM they could get. Maybe I should try a big lithium now? Not sure if I want to keep the bike long term now, shame as it rides fantastic.
GG recommends a 240 CCA battery - note the tech bulletin attached.

I'm guessing you can't get that in an AGM that will fit (though I'm not totally sure). What CCA is yours?

I would look at Earth-X, or the new Anti-Gravity "Restart" with discharge protection. FWIW I can't believe that the LI industry puts out a product that can be damaged by dropping below a certain voltage. I'd spend a little more to protect against having that happen.

If I can't get satisfaction with my current battery, I will be sorely tempted to purchase a 340CCA Earth-X and modify the battery compartment to make it fit.

I understand your last comment. It's frustrating to have a bike that has "something broken" on it. It would be better for me if it was kick-start only vs. having a system that doesn't work. But the rest of the bike is so good that I'm going to keep at it!

TB-GG-17-12 Electric Start Update.jpg
TB-GG-17-12 Electric Start Update pg.2.jpg
Old 10-21-2019, 03:58 AM

New batt is 190cca and it's all the battery compartment. I've got a few more hours to clock up this year, perhaps the starter is just breaking in?
Old 10-21-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
New batt is 190cca and it's all the battery compartment. I've got a few more hours to clock up this year, perhaps the starter is just breaking in?
what is the problem with your starter?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I think it may take a little bit of breaking in, I replaced my starter and it would take pressing the button twice to start the bike about 75% of the time. After about 2 hours and making sure my battery is fully charged it is now first press 98% of the time.

I have a 210 cca Shorai battery, Anti Gravity makes a 240cca that will fit the battery box.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eralha View Post
what is the problem with your starter?
Will not start the bike, went to the dealer. Cranks better and faster, bigger battery. Still no go, got one start on it in an 80km ride.
May try another battery if I keep the bike long enough
Old 10-22-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Will not start the bike, went to the dealer. Cranks better and faster, bigger battery. Still no go, got one start on it in an 80km ride.
May try another battery if I keep the bike long enough
If it cracks well but bike does not start, the dealer need to update the cables from battery to starter and the ECU need to be remapped.

Gasgas will do this free of charge.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:51 PM

All been done. They even adjusted the pick up coil. I rode it for the first time after the work was done last weekend
Old 10-22-2019, 11:24 PM

When people say no start there needs to be more clarity I think. For example does it not spin the motor over when the start button is pressed? Does it spin it all day long and not start? Is the spinning erratic/slow? I have found mine likes the throttle to be cracked ever so slightly after pressing the button as I have my idle down very low.

I genuinely think people are blaming other issues on the starter as mine and the 4 other guys I ride with have no issues at all starting out bikes from cold or in gear multiple times a ride in shitty rocky terrain.
It really is not a difficult system to diagnose but I think poor description of the problem and perhaps in adequate dealers techs are making it to be a way bigger issue then needed.

Some people are pressing the button once only and calling it a no start. Like if it was a kick starter and it didn’t start first kick people would just kick it again and move on...

Like if we can get those awful Ktm starting systems to work these are easy!