Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 12-11-2018, 04:17 AM

Default EC 300 2018 starter problem

Good Morning,

Last Sunday the starter of my gasgas ec 300 stopped working, it worked without turning the engine. I dismounted the two covers, the bendix and the ignition to check and it was the bendix that was stuck and did not act.
After lubricating everything I set everything to see if it was ok, I mount it without putting the joints and now the starter does not turn the engine. The battery has 13V is still the original battery.
I give here a video of what it does now, i just orderer a new batery, should i try and make the wire mods?

I need to say that my bike has 70h now that starter allways worked, not 100% but worked when i needed cold and hot.

video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aq0Qx6sqeizHgoYY_RQzuOPAHPLmEg

Thanks in advance

Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 AM

If the starter is spinning and the bendix is not engaging, check the bendix. KTM units used to fail as the gears started to spin on the shaft and you had to replace the bendix. That could have happened to yours if the bendix has siezed up.

The beefed up battery leads need to be done anyway as the cable thickness is just not enough to pass the current the starter needs to spin at full speed.

If the battery voltage does not drop off when the starter is spinning then I doubt that the battery is at fault.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:09 PM

Hi,

I tested it with another battery, 11A 230cca, it just did the cliking sound, the theet on the bendix seems good, it turns as it should to actuate, i have the impression that it is getting stuck after it engages.

thks.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:48 PM

When the bendix gear was slipping on my KTM, you couldn't turn the gear on the shaft by hand. It needed the torque from the starter motor to cause it. I had to mark the shaft and gear to see that it was slipping.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:01 AM

Hi,

Good tip i will mark the bendix to see if it is slipping, will give feedback here.

thanks
Old 12-13-2018, 04:01 PM

Hi,

Checked The Bendix and its good, im thinking about The Starter now.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:27 AM

In the video you never pushed the starter button longer than half a second. What happens if you press it and keep it pressed? Do you hear a whining noise?

Did you check the voltage of your battery when fully loaded? If yes, what was the value? Did it ever work fine? When did it stop working? How many operating hours has the bike?
What was the ambient temperature when the starter failed?
Old 12-14-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
In the video you never pushed the starter button longer than half a second. What happens if you press it and keep it pressed? Do you hear a whining noise?

Did you check the voltage of your battery when fully loaded? If yes, what was the value? Did it ever work fine? When did it stop working? How many operating hours has the bike?
What was the ambient temperature when the starter failed?
Hi,

Yes it does the whining sound, it failed one ride, i didnt measure the battery voltage on load.

The starter never worked 100%, it was getting worse every ride to put the bike to start, i will order a new starter motor, prety sure that its the problem.

thanks.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:58 AM

Fit the 2019 starter wiring before you order a new motor. It could save you a big chunk of cash. Speak to your dealer as the upgrade was retro fitted to 2018 bikes. You may get the parts at a reduced price.

Last edited by RudolfHucker; 12-14-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 AM

The bendix has to "spin up" quickly so the flyweights force the gears to engage. This is where the improved wiring and better battery come in.

A bike that cranks OK but does not start requires the better CDI. The bad ones won't spark due to the voltage sag from cranking. They do start fine with the kickstarter.