Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Dunlop Geomax MX 31

If you are going to be riding the E-3 class in ISDE qualifiers, read no further than this... These tires suck, stay away from them, far away. For all else, read on....

I haven't read anything about them, but I ride in Western Oregon, on Hawaiian Ice clay, so I figured I'd go with the soft terrain tire rather than the MX 51 which is getting rave reviews.

The MX 31 is the best wet ground tire I've ever used, period. I was riding today with my brother in law who was running the Maxxis SI's, which we were pretty happy with. Well, today, I had a definite traction advantage. I used to run car studs in my tires during the winter months because the clay is so darned slick. Of course, you can't race with those, but for trail riding it was great. These tires are better than the studs. All the traction in the clay, but no slipping in the rocks. Very very impressive tire.

For anyone who is riding sloppy, guky, nasty conditions, these tires are the cat's meow.
AS far as longevity, I don't know, I have one ride on them, and they look great. Time will tell. If they stop working this well, I may get new ones anyway because they are so awesome.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 AM

roost,

You talking front as well as rear? I've come to run the trials tire in all but sand now, but could use a new front and I'm open for suggestions. I'm running a Pirelli Scorpion MX now.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 AM

Front and rear tires. Yes. I always replace tires in pairs.

Trials tires rock, except in wet, red clay.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 PM

What trials tire do you use ?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:58 PM

I run the Mitas, but they are not imported anymore. I got a few from Canada but that may have dried u as well. Got two fresh ones, when they go I'll get a Dunlop. I get most of a season of trail riding and a few rock enduros out of a tire.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 PM

I have used an IRC trials tire, and Michelin X11. The X11 works better. True on longevity too. A trials tire will go 1000 miles, no kidding. They just don't work in Hawaii, or Oregon's mid Willamette Valley when it rains.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-16-2009, 08:04 AM

I have ridden in Kauai, and am familiar with "Hawaiian Ice". I would describe it as hardpack with a few mm coating of moly grease! Its even a bitch to walk on. On the pure clay surface there is no underlying traction like a rock or log, so its a tough call. I was on a heavier, smoother 4-stroke and was happy I was after getting through some of those sections. In other areas of the technical Kauai terrain, they would work great.

The Mitas and Dunlop are are more durable than the Michelin and IRC. We tear the Michelins up quick here (sidewalls) in the sharp rocks, IRCs fare a bit better. The Mitas and Dunlop are a bit stiffer, and while absolute traction is not as great as the X-11, its a much more reliable and practical tire to run on a woods bike and works great. No sidewall tears in several years. You run them slightly lower in pressure.