Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:09 PM

Default No spark on 2008 450FSE

Hi!

I have got a 2008 GG SM450FSE.
The bike ran quite well but poor starting.
I have checked all the obvious but nothing could lead me to the answer.
I decided to check valve clearance, wich was all good. (10-15 intake 15-20 exhaust)
When I got the valve cover back on, it seemed like a good idea to check the intensity of the spark, by eye. Guess what, no spark...
Spark plug is new, spark plug cover resistance 5,5Kohm, spark plug cable zero resistance.

I would like to measure the coils, what are the values on those?
There is actually an AC current coming from the plug on the coils.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks,

Thomas (Netherlands)

Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Lots of info on same subject in this thread:
http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9012
Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks,

I've been reading through but I can't seem to really apply any in such a manner that it solves my problem.

Additional info:

My FSE has been modified as a Supermotard for the track wich means no contact lock, no lightning, no speedo, no nothing.

Have looked for the following:

I could not find any fuses in the electrical compartment besides the two fuses plugged into the starter relay, wich seems odd to me.

pic:

"Here's a test to check pickup coil circuit: turn ignition on, wait for pump to stop. Slowly kick engine over, pump should start again when flywheel passes pickup point."

Have tried this; works perfectly. Hall sensor still functioning.

"I had a problem on my 450 once, when starter motor just used too much power, leaving the voltage across battery terminals as low as 9 volts when cranking. This turned out to be below the lowest operating voltage of the ECU, and it was not working. As a result, there was no spark when cranking the engine with starter motor.

However, when cranked using the kick start, I got a good spark, and bike would start just fine.

Try hooking it up to a car battery."

I tried this aswell. My battery is full, checked voltage when cranking, 11 volts, checked spark on kickstarter, nothing.

There is no ground problem, engine, frame, coil and battery all earths well in every combination.

I also have these 'ghost' cables laying around the bike. They were never connected, not even when running.

pic:

What kind of DC voltage should i be getting on this plug when cranking?

pic:

Could someone provide me with resistance values for the coil?

Seems like i really need some help on this one..... thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

If the CDI is operating properly, you should see at least 200 volts between earth and that plug leading to the coil.

I have a similar-looking coil at home; i can measure its resistance and let you know what it is. That being said, similar looks need not imply similar measurements. However, i did buy some inexpensive Emgo coils, so it might be a start.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Okay, I assume the 200 volts DC (it should be DC as it is after the power inverter (?not sure if that's the right word for it in english?)) is a peak voltage, not constant.
How about the fuses, are they just missing or are they not on my model bike (model'09)
Do the 'ghost' wires look formilliar to you?
If you would like to measure the resistances of your emgo coils, please do.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
If the CDI is operating properly, you should see at least 200 volts between earth and that plug leading to the coil.

I have a similar-looking coil at home; i can measure its resistance and let you know what it is. That being said, similar looks need not imply similar measurements. However, i did buy some inexpensive Emgo coils, so it might be a start.
Could you please provide me with the resistances of your coils?
I am getting 0,04 Ohm primary and 6 KILO ohm secundary.

I doubt the primary value.

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 PM

If you disconnect the pulsar leads to the CDI, then kick/turn the bike over, then you should see the voltage go to 200 volts (or more, actually) and either stay there or decrease slowly (they might us a bleed resistor to drain the capacitor so it doesn't shock a service person).

W/O the pulsar lead connected, the signal won't trigger the SCR, and the voltage should stay high on the output of the CDI to the coil.

You coil resistance seems low. I am think mine measured at 0.6 Ohms or so. I'll check tonight, and post up.

blitz
Old 04-06-2011, 09:34 PM

Greetings.

Resistance of coil #1, emgo part number 24-71532: 6K Ohm secondary, 0.8 Ohm primary.

Resistance of coil #2: 0.4 Ohm primary, 5K Ohm secondary.

My guess is that at 0.04 Ohm, you have a short. Your resistance is 10% of the value I find.

good luck.

blitz
Old 04-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Have been working on the bike again.
Got a new coil genuine GasGas and the primary resistance was a nice 0,5 Ohm. Bad luck, still no spark.
Any suggestions? Things to check/measure? I'm out of ideas.

Kind regards,

Thomas