Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 06-12-2013, 02:25 AM

Default Colorado riding

Going back to Co at the end of July and would like to find good places to ride and good people to ride with. Staying about a week and and half. Last two trips we rode Salida, Taylor Park, and Silverton areas.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Gasser, how long are you going for? What type of riding do you like? How many miles/hours do you like to ride in a day? How many people in your group? What route are you taking into Colorado: I-70 or the southern route? Is your group DOT "legal"? Let me know and I can fill you in on spots other than the usual Taylor Park area!

Eric
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:07 AM

Thanks Eric, There will probably be 4-7 of us coming in via I70 and staying for 7-8 days. We love technical single track but we may try to work in some sight seeing rides (like Black Bear pass over to Telluride). I think the last time we trailered the bikse from Salida to Sargents each day but this year I'm bringing a toy hauler and camping.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I know I'm jealous!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Sorry for the delay in responding! Too much to do! Anyways, seriously consider riding the single track at Willow Creek Pass in between Granby and Rand. There is easily 2 days of single track from one camping area and it's some of the best I've ridden (I'm a Pa/NJ eastern woods rider refugee living in Co now!). There is also a fair amount of atv trails to spend another day and tie together the single track from a different direction. It's all OHV sticker legal through the USFS Parks Ranger District (check out their MVUM online). Another day can be spent at Wolford Mountain further west in Kremmling linking together single track, atv trails, and 4wd trails. It is OHV legal through the BLM and can be found online. Kremmling also allows unlicensed vehicles on the north side of town so they are OHV friendly and worth a stay! The Grizzly/Helena area is north of there as is Steamboat Lakes area (check with "Stay the Trail" website for Colorado). For more fun as you head south of Steamboat towards Wolcott/Vail there is the BLM riding area at McCoy (between milemarker 22 and 23 on highway 131). This is a fun area to spend a half a day while in transit towards I-70...For a challenge, Wolcott has Bocco Mountain single track (BLM riding area) which was laid out by a Pa. enduro rider who had something against anything above second gear! It's on 131 before I-70 by a couple of miles. Unless you have a license plate, your next option is the Gypsum Hardscrabble BLM riding area. There are a lot of small tight trails in there that are shared with the mountain bikers. If the Basalt to Gypsum singletrack is completed, then you will have another days worth of riding on the West side of Gypsum. Depending on when you come out, we can meet you in some of the areas and show you the trails on a Sat or Sun. If you want to stay south, make sure you go to St. Elmo and do the loop to Pitkin and Tincup by trying to stay on mostly single track after the passes. PM me if you want to talk more!

Eric
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopernicus View Post
Depending on when you come out, we can meet you in some of the areas and show you the trails on a Sat or Sun. If you want to stay south, make sure you go to St. Elmo and do the loop to Pitkin and Tincup by trying to stay on mostly single track after the passes. PM me if you want to talk more!

Eric
We plan to be in Denver Thursday afternoon on the 25th and would love to ride with you on Friday or Saturday. We may relocate to Sargents on Sunday.