Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM

Default What To Eat?

Okay all of you long course lovers....... What is a good meal to eat prior to a long race in the woods? I have heard soup, fruits, etc. I want specific dinners & breakfast.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

pasta or any low Gi foods.
Carbohydrates with a low gi, ie. foods that release the energy slowly are best
Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Sorry, I almost forgot. A favourite over in Oz while doing enduros etc is Peanut butter sandwiches. You should try it it works
Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Chicken parmagiana is good for carb loading. Bananas are great for a potassium boost
'09 GG 280 TXT (to learn on)
'02 BMW R1150RT (for racking up the miles)
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Your problem on a long course is going to be more about feeling bagged after depleating your existing blood sugar, which is what you had for dinner the night before and breakfast the day of the race. After that your body will start to break down you muscle glycogin. This is why your thundered for a few days after a big race.If you can stomach a big baked or boiled potatoe as late as you can before the start of the race it will go along way to keeping you fueled through out its duration. Also a corn based carb powder mixed with water and salts in your drink blader will keep you going like the energizer bunny. Also its important to stay off the booze for the week prior of the race, your liver needs to be working at 100% to process the carbs into blood sugar not to be side tracked in order to dispatch the toxins in your liver from the consumsion of alchohol and its conversion to sugars.

Last edited by widebear; 12-09-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Widebar has some good advice, I came across this and thought it might be helpful.
http://www.cyclechallenge.com/pdf/en..._nutrition.pdf

I haven't done any long races in quite a long time but I used to eat spaghetti, bread and a salad no dressing the night before then breakfast would be a big bowl of frosted mini wheats and a couple of bananas, handful of supps (calcium, magnesium, all the B vitamins, etc.) and at gas I would eat power bar and another banana.
I have recently been using whey protein drink before and after a ride and have noticed in my case limited muscle aches and faster recovery and Iv'e mentioned it before but have found taking a product by muscletech "Gakic" to be helpful as well, it seems to help with the lactic acid in muscles and also recovery time is better. Some of the longer tougher races I would have problems with the old lactic acid build up then the ride would go into survival mode.
As always try different stuff when training to see what agrees with your system rather than race day.

Good Luck
Ron
2004 ECDE2004
Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks guys for the input. I will put it to the test.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 PM

Bananas!

Peanut butter and banana sandwich before race, and carry a banana with you. Lots of potassium.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:31 AM

I used to carb load the night before,, mainly with Beer,, but that might explain why I would miss the start...
Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 PM

i have heard from cyclists to eat pastas before a race because the pasta (or potatoes) stick with you and provide longer lasting carbs and starches, after that i usually eat one of the medium sized stouffers lasagna right before a race and during resets and gas stop i will eat some type of protein bar and fruit if i carry it with me. I usually dont find myself too depleted or hungry untill the end of the race. I have also heard not to eat red meats the night before or before a race because the red meat tends to cause you to cramp up. I havent tested this because i always liked a steak the night before a race but i just took their advice and stick to chicken and pasta