Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Default Pampera 280 feedback

Hey guys. I'm new here and have my first question. I am considering buying a Pampera 280 2004 for mountain trail riding. I am 5-10" and 150. I know this is a good trail bike but just want any additional info you may have ie reliabilit, parts, maintenance, etc.
I have been on motorcycles all my life but am just getting back into trail riding. Any info on the bike would be much appreciated. I am not finding much online but very much like the idea of the bike.
Thanks

Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Great trail bike and pretty dang reliable. Low seat height and quiet.

I do know the frame up at the headset is known to crack. I have seen a Pampera in 2 pieces, entire front end cracked off, and heard about some others with similar issues. Be sure to check the area for cracks and rust.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:41 AM

I went with money in my hand to buy a new Pampera 13 years ago. At that time I was riding my first modern sized dirt bike (96 ktm 250) that somewhat intimidated me because it was top heavy and I was always falling over during low speed turns. The Pampera was close in size to the bikes I grew up on in the 70s so I just knew that it would be perfect for me - until I rode one - I hated it mostly due to the weird trials bike gearing (3 very low gears close together then a big gap to 4th) These bikes are also way too fragile for me to do much regular trail riding on but then I'm 85 pounds heavier than you. Your light weight will work against you though when you go to start a Pamp because they are high compression and hard to kick over for a 2stroke. The upside is the Pamp 2strokes are 25-30 pounds lighter than the 200-300 enduro models and seem 50 pounds lighter. They are also street legal everywhere I believe. And as would be expected they are also very capable at trials. Down side for me was it just was not much fun to trail ride. If the size and seat height is important to you a Honda 230 or similar bike would make a much better all around trail bike and be cheaper to buy. My wife had the 150 Honda play bike and it was a blast to ride in the tight stuff.
Oh by the way I did not buy that Pampera that I tried out I bought a slightly used GasGas ec200 instead. It had been lowered slightly and it was love at first ride.
P.S. My falling over in slow turns magically went away with the new bike.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 AM

Thank you so much for your candid replies. I honestly believe that you saved me from buying the wrong motorcycle. I really like the idea of a made trail bike and don't have much of a budget, but I think the gearing would have let me down in the end and I am not sure I would have picked that up on the test drive. Thanks again!! The search goes on.