Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > Western United States

Western United States West of the Rocky Mountains

Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 PM

Default Moab in 3 weeks: Advice for newbies

Group of 6 from work are heading to Moab on October 5-9. None of us has been there before, but we've done quite a bit of research. Pretty novice group with all but me who ride only 2-3 times a year. We are staying just south of town and will be driving a motor home. Im looking for 3 good routes that are around 40-50 miles per day. We have to take the motor home with 24' trailer to the staging ares as well.

My plan so far is Sovereign trail on one day, maybe Gemini bridge area another day and possibly Kane creek on the 3rd. Possibly poison spider if not too tough would be an option or just putting around Fins and Things.

Any advice from those who've been? Looking for fairly easy stuff with a novice group. 4 of the guys haven't ridden once this year! We just want to enjoy our time and not really interested in pushing it. No 5MOH! I have a guide book and several great maps. Just looking at 1st hand experience.

Really looking forward to an amazing trip with good buddies and fun riding!

Thanks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 PM

You really need to post up on TT or KTMTALK. Moab trails are really not that easy to find although there is a LOT of them out there. Why no 5MOH ? LOL
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500
Old 09-20-2014, 10:56 PM

YES Kane Creek
YES Gemini
YES sovereign trail system, my fav singletrack in area
YES fins n things
Maybe Slickrock singletrack.
NO Tenmile wash
NO Helldorado canyon
YES Chutes and Ladders
YES enduro loop north side, from Levi Well rd to Dee Flat trail (near Whitewash sand dunes)
NO Porcupine rim
NO Moab rim trail
NO Mary's trail
YES Whitewash sand dunes riding area
NO Dead Cow
YES Onion Creek road, beautiful scenery

Kane creek has tons of water crossings, a couple climbs with wet tires make them challenging. Easy to get stuck on wet obstacles. MAKE ALL your buddies get front tuggers (20 bucks) for the forks so you can help each other. Or just get a length of 1" climbing webbing to tie on. And take a tow strap to tie to tuggers makes life tremendously easier.

Careful setting goals of X many miles. Sometimes 20 miles of Moab terrain is exhausting depending on experience.

We are headed out Oct 18th wknd. BEST riding ever, you will be hooked for life. Have a blast, make a video for us!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:08 PM

I live in Ogden and make it to Moab a couple times a year. I just got back yesterday with a couple of friends that drove out from Seattle. One had only been on the dirt once this year. He took it easy and had no problem with everything in the sand flats area (Hells, Fins, and Slickrock trail). We made a day out of that and had a great time. The only thing he struggled on was Hells Gate which of course you don't have to do. Sovereign is a blast. We didn't make it out there this trip but have in the past. I think that it's fine for a novice. We also rode Poison Spider, and everyone did fine but it is a fatiguing trail. I wouldn't do Moab Rim, pritchett, or behind the rocks with novices. Kane is fun but found some of the guys that weren't used to riding in the sand struggled in the wash and wore them out for some of the riding later in the day.

I feel like the Sand Flats area is the whole Moab experience in a nut shell and like taking the new guys there first to get them hooked.
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 09-24-2014, 04:14 PM

Awesome. Thanks a bunch for the advice. All of the guys on the trip are capable and are in good shape, so I'm not too worried about a long days ride, but I don't want to overwhelm them either.

It looks like sovereign is a go on day 1.

Then we'll see how everyone's doing for day 2&3.

Looks like a day at sand flats, a day around Gemini bridge or a day of Kane Creek are all good options.

I also picked up a good guidebook and have the latitude40 map.

Can't wait!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:23 PM

What book did you pick up?

Another good resource on Moab, or Utah riding in general is http://www.dirtbikeutah.net. They have write-ups on most of the fun trails and usually some video as well.

Be sure to report back with a ride report and some pics!
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 09-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Picked up this book http://www.funtreks.com/utah-books/a...-guide-moab-ut

Its intended for ATV's, but has very detailed trail information with distance, approximately how long to plan, how to get there, etc.

Getting closer !
Old 09-29-2014, 01:34 PM

If your doing Gemini look into riding metal masher as well. It is technically moderate and in the same area.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:24 PM

Awesome. Will do.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:28 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Jeep trails down there. There is plenty of single track to ride in the area. Just stage from the Super 8 parking lot in Green River Utah. The single track starts on the south east corner of the parking lot. You'll ride under I-70 and the railroad tracks and end up on the Dubinky trail system. Good times out there for sure. You can ride pretty much to Moab if you had enough gas. Also check out Rabbit Valley in Colorado. If you are feeling like some gnarly riding check out 5 miles of hell (not for newbs). It's one of my favorite trails down there. Another good one is the slick rock trail. Hells revenge crisscrosses the slick rock trail if the slick rock trail is to difficult for your guys. It'll be fun no matter what you ride really.

Maps and info: http://www.bookcliffrattlersmc.com/#!riding-areas/c4xp