Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Default ???'s on a used bike

I'm doing research on a used 300 to purchase. I've learned that some of the 300's came with the 'dual map' ignition switch. I've learned that some bikes may have come with the 'dual map' setup but no switch.
Does anyone know the history of the availability of the 'dual map' and how to tell if the bike has the setup but no switch?
I think the 'dual map' would be an advantage for me with the varying conditions that I would be riding in.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 AM

I believe 05 and up have the dual map. pull the seat and if you see the extra wire plugged or unplugged you have a dual map

Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Don't expect to feel a big difference between the two settings.
Best I could tell is that the dry mode allows the bike to come on the pipe earlier.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:04 AM

I think a pin on the magic box is earthed which swaps the maps.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

My (best ) brother in law has a Kartoon 300 with the dual map switch. I personally feel it's a gimmick. Yeah, there's a difference, but whenever I've ridden it, I put it on the hot setting. I tried it on the mellow, but I really don't think it matters much. Maybe I'd feel differently if it were my bike.

If I were shopping a Gas Gas, I'd be much more interested in finding Ohlins suspension front and rear than the switch. Yeah, the newer Zokes are good up front, but I still think the Ohlins are better. That could be because I own them, but, they do work very well.

In fact, if I were shopping a used GG, I'd forego the engine size for Ohlins..... Am I an Ohlins snob?
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 11-02-2009 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:03 PM

My 02 Had LTR ohlins and they were awesome. However the 50mm Zokes on my new bike, 07 mc, are even better. The new forke just beg to be abused and it seems the faster you go the smotther the ride gets. The sachs shock works well also. I would look for an 05 + which would give you the option of upgrading to the newer 07+ subframe and plastic. Though I don't like the new airbox and one piece fender side pannel The new design seems much more streamlined and makes for a smallish bike.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:58 PM

The bike has to be jetted very well for the dual maps to have much effect. This is more true with the 250.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Cool

i have an 07 300 gg and yes the jetting has to be set up properly and then u can feel the difference with the mapping switch but keep in mind u will only feel the difference if u r riding hard and up in the revs also u will notice a difference when climbing a wet greasy hill low down in the revs riding mid range u can't tell the difference unless u pin it hope this helps
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the info.

Roostafish- I'm definitely lening towards an Ohlins equipped bike, the rear at least. I've heard good things about the Zoke fronts so I'll be OK with them. and FWIW it does sound like you're an Ohilins snob but that's OK :-)

PEB- are your Zokes modified ? I rode an 08 EC300 and thought the suspension felt a little edgy but it may have needed more time. It only had @ 20 hrs on it.

GMP & Gassey fan- I've been reading on jetting setups and figured I'd have to start fresh with whatever I find. Looking at a couple of 06s right now and haven't entirely ruled out a 250 at this point. Definitely want all the low end I can get. I'm 52 now and will probably 'fun ride' more than compete but don't want to rule out a competition every now and then
Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Fred-They were revalved by powerband racing.