Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
I have read that when muscles are simply pushed beyond their "normal operating range" they will cramp. The theory being that training and conditioning can extend the "normal operating range". Assuming hydration and mineral replacement is kept up, the performance of the various muscles we use when riding will improve hugely the more we ride.
Roost, have you noticed if you are cramping less as the season progresses?
For myself anyway, I know at the start of the season, even though I drink heaps, I get lots of cramps - but after more regular riding through the summer, the cramps "barrier" is usually pushed out to say 4 hours.
I have noticed that the more I have been riding, the less of a problem it is. Last month I did a three day epic mountain bike ride, with super technical terrain, and hours in the saddle, over 100 miles in all. I never came close to having a cramp. I was well hydrated, well fueled, and had the benefit of lots of rest, since I just went to sleep when the sun went down, and others drank beer. A further benefit was that I had plenty of rest stops on the trail, since I was far from the slowest in the group. Not like racing a motorcycle, but it was plenty long, plenty tough, and taxed the leg muscles pretty hard. I do think the intensity of racing has an effect too. Just the nerves, and the total concentration, and maximum effort.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM

been using endurolites from hammer nutrition and and havent had any cramping since ive been using them. they also take any cramping away instantly. got a few guys also using them with great results
Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 AM

I have found drinking Powerade while riding eliminated my cramping, including the delayed onset leg cramping in the middle of the night after the ride
Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM

Cramping doesn't always have to be a result of dehydration or fatigue although those are most common. Another factor is mental stress as in nervousness causing tension. I have witnessed this in tennis matches with a lot of pressure on the outcome. A player experienced cramping early on in a match and then when this player has resigned to losing he relaxed and stopped cramping and began to play well to the end.

Here's an observation based on no data but it seems that most of the guys I know who are prone to cramp are also the high strung guys with leaner than normal bodies.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

That's an interesting observation about type A skinny folk! I are one. An Ectomorph as it were. My dad too. I wonder if there's a solution other than just getting super fit and relaxing!!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator

It's funny mike - but the number one thing I was going to suggest to you is to focus on riding much smoother - go fast without looking like you are.... conserve energy. Riding - Zen Style...

I was thinking about riding behind you to videotape you - and focus on riding with a "more quiet" riding style.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
It's funny mike - but the number one thing I was going to suggest to you is to focus on riding much smoother - go fast without looking like you are.... conserve energy. Riding - Zen Style...

I was thinking about riding behind you to videotape you - and focus on riding with a "more quiet" riding style.

Jeff
The gasser is the PERFECT bike for riding "zen style". I had mentioned in another thread the theory of "visualising yourself" through corners - I was actually only half joking!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:13 AM

At a XC I did last weekend, I got passed by a KTM, then followed them for a few km, and couldnt understand why they were braking so much ( its obvious with a KTM, it was squealing away ), I could ride at the same pace quite easily without the need to brake nearly as much as they were.

Barry, I still find it hard to believe you ride at all, im sure you just push your bike through puddles to make it dirty :/
Old 09-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

BAAHAAAHAAA noobi 1-bchatt 0
Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
Barry, I still find it hard to believe you ride at all, im sure you just push your bike through puddles to make it dirty :/
Yeh, well, the reason my bike looks like it's hardly been ridden is because the only part that touches the ground is the tyres - unlike yours, on which all sorts of parts touch the ground numerous times a day, you know, like handlebars, footpegs, front mudgaurd, back mudgaurd, muffler, seat, radiator shrouds