Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM

Mine just sucked dirt into the carb and stuck my throttle. The thing was packed with dirt and grit. Good reddens to the cable choke. No problems with the new plunger.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:01 PM

My cable got caught by a branch on the second or third ride after I bought it. It caused me to foul a plug, but luckily I was riding around my house at the time. I took it off promptly afterwards.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM

Wink

God darn it. Sounding like more sense to install the plain one that was included with the bike. But wait I may be able to turn this around. Sounds like a good reason to convince the wife I need a late model practice bike. For the eye candy and I could leave the stock cool handlebar mounted choke!! Ok not really sure the wife or my checkbook will bite on this!! I will have to look at how easy it is to switch and if a guy could just switch it for racing and leave the cable in place and......................................... Another bike sounds better!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM

I have bark busters so not sure how a branch could grab the Choke, guess it could happen but I assume most stories are with how the bike comes OEM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabak View Post
In case you'll oftenly mess with jetting and tilting the carb, you'll definately need the knob one because the cable's plastic connector with the carb have less threads and eventually will fail, as did mine.

Ordered the one with the knob and the following part in order to have both worlds to choose from:

Hope that will do
What is this converting...?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 AM

nothing... just for use of the metalic nut/threads
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 AM

Haven't had any issues with mine. It's handy and works well IMO. Just pull it in to start and feather it a few times when warming up the bike.
We usually have a lot of mud and slop around S. Ontario, where I ride.
I've heard of some guys having problems, but all you need is a dab of silicone at the cable connection points to keep crap and water out. Also, a bit of lube in the cable once in a while is a good idea. Put a dab of silicone around the throttle cable connection point at the top of the carb as well.
Keeping the bike thoroughly cleaned is a good maintenance practice. After I'm finished washing my bike(after every ride), the carb and all pivot points and suspension sliding points get a spray of WD40.

This keeps the carb looking like new, even on a bike that is 5-6 years old.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I have bark busters so not sure how a branch could grab the Choke, guess it could happen but I assume most stories are with how the bike comes OEM.
I had barkbusters. I'm with GMP on this one. I rode 8 enduros last year and never felt the need to hit the choke to richen it up during WFO sections. I don't see any other advantage to it, only another thing that could go wrong. It may not happen often, but it only takes once.

It's personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I've said it before Ill say it again. On bike parts like this, just because a few have had issues with it, doesn't necessarily mean you will. It's a dirtbike part and like many parts on a dirt bike they fail, or with lack of maintenance or prep they don't work correctly.

If you like it, I'd suggest you prep it ,maintain it and keep it until it fails you. While I understand simple and am all about that, I also want to share it isn't the ticking time bomb I also thought it might be when it was first offered. And I really like it's convenience with the e start model.

And really, I don't like trying to fit that cable combined with the extra and ample estart wire harness and large lighting plugs behind the enduro light shell when I switch plates. But it's a nice option to have with the estart and in a venue where you can go wide open for miles and I do both so I choose to keep it, until it fails me.

It's was still working correctly after 24 hours of racing in very deep mud.
I could post many, many pictures of gnarly brushy, muddy, deep water racing and riding. Bike prep and maintenance is key.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:44 AM

My problem with the cable had nothing to do with bike prep or maintenance. It was just one of those things. I will agree that it may never be a problem for some, but it was for me. I'm glad everyone is willing to share their experiences both good and bad regarding issues of all kinds. That's what helps people make educated decisions about their own bikes.