Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I measured a spare rear wheel, here goes:

rotor mount surface to sprocket mount surface(across hub) - 150mm
rotor side spacer surface to rotor surface - 3mm
sprocket side spacer surface to sprocket surface - 7mm
axel OD - 20mm

For reference:
rotor thickness - 4mm
sprocket thickness - 6.5mm

You guys with some other brand bikes/wheels measure up and see where we stand. Start with a KTM, a guy here a few years ago had an MC250 and a 250SX and he claimed the KTM wheel fit with custom spacers. Could be BS but lets see. Spacers are the easy part, not worth worrying about.
I have a friend with a 03 KX 250 wheel that I will see if it fits, I tried a 02 CR 250 and it didn't fit...if I remember correctly the axel size is different.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Preliminary results using 2000 EC300: 1999 Kawasaki KX 250 rear wheel will fit on Gas Gas with no modifications using GG chain drive axle spacer and Kawasaki brake side axle spacer. The GG axle is the correct diameter and everything seems to line up correctly as it is currently on the bike and spins fine. I also used both KX spacers and they both seem to work but the GG chain drive spacer seems to seat a little better than the KX which has a "mud cover". My next goal is the weigh both wheels with no tires/tubes to get a weight comparison. That will come with time! As a side note, I do believe that most KX/KDX wheels (2 stroke) are interchangable from about 1992 until 2003 (at least) and likely until 2007 (the end of Kawasaki 2 strokes). If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me!

Eric
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 AM

Thumbs up

Nice work. Any chance that either the GG rotor or sprocket fits the KX hub? I doubt it but had to ask.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM

I did a little wheel research today, called RK Excel, RAD (DID didtributer), and Buchanan.

The GasGas hub requires what they call a "Euro Drill" pattern rim. From what Excel tells me this can vary by a few degrees depending on the mfg. OEM rims are drilled specific to the hubs, while aftermarket Excel rims are designed and drilled with some slop to allow use on more than one brand. This is why you can't use OEM spokes on aftermarket Excel rims, because the holes are bigger to accomodate the angle variations. The aftermarket Excell rim that will fit the GG AJP rear hub is a standard Excel, part #SES433 (also specified for Huskys) It will require a new spoke set and nipples as well. The newer, stronger Excel is N/A for the GasGas. Again, this is all per Excel.

DID info is very limited. RAD was very informative but could not tell me for sure if a DID replacement was available. The old "U" rims have not been seen in years.

I then called Buchanan. They have blank Excels, and blank rims of there own in house manufacture(Sun rims), which they claim are stronger than Excels. They have the GG AJP hub pattern and will custom drill a blank to order. You can use your OEM spokes and nipples if they are in good shape as well, but they also have spoke sets/nipples. Price is $195. An OEM DID is listed at $229. To me this is the best option yet if your looking for a stronger than OEM rim.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Glenn, here's one for you.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Thanks Girard, thats a members bike being parted out. I have two wheels now, and figured I'd try and find a more permanent source for stronger rims for everyone. I hear nothing but good about the Sun wheels, and I'll order one to rebuild my wheel this winter.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 PM

Glenn,

Sorry, GG sprocket does not fit on KX hub as the bolt pattern is off by a good bit. I did not try the brake rotor but I believe it may fit but I will measure that up this weekend to see if it truly does fit. As for the Sun rims, I have some old vintage bikes that used Sun rims and they are very strong and do not separate at the welds like other old rims from manufacturers supplying current MX/Enduro bikes. Buchanan has been in the business longer than I can remember and they have a fine reputation in the vintage bike world. I forgot to mention: I will also check the front wheel, too, sometime in the near future and post the results. BTW, Glenn, what trails do you ride in NJ (I'm a former ECEA/D-6 person)? Girard: I hope you are still thinking of coming up here in the future for a ride so I can repay the kindness you showed to me and Bob!

Eric
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopernicus View Post
Glenn,

Sorry, GG sprocket does not fit on KX hub as the bolt pattern is off by a good bit. I did not try the brake rotor but I believe it may fit but I will measure that up this weekend to see if it truly does fit. As for the Sun rims, I have some old vintage bikes that used Sun rims and they are very strong and do not separate at the welds like other old rims from manufacturers supplying current MX/Enduro bikes. Buchanan has been in the business longer than I can remember and they have a fine reputation in the vintage bike world. I forgot to mention: I will also check the front wheel, too, sometime in the near future and post the results. BTW, Glenn, what trails do you ride in NJ (I'm a former ECEA/D-6 person)? Girard: I hope you are still thinking of coming up here in the future for a ride so I can repay the kindness you showed to me and Bob!

Eric
That sucks....I was going to order a spare from Gofasters until they priced it out...was some $1000.00 ridiculous price.
This is the kind of stuff that'll make one buy a less exotic bike, I really like my GG but I think I'm going orange in 11
I mean for christ sakes, what we have to go thru just to get a spare wheel, every other major brand getting a spare wheel is a no brainer and at a good price.
Sorry...a little pissed and had to rant!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:58 AM

I don't think getting a spare to work is that bad, the KX is still an option, and probably the Husky which I'll try soon. Next time my KTM buddy is over I'll look at that too. If I didn't have a bunch of GG sprockets and rotors I'd go the KX route for sure. GG/KTM rotors the same, GG/Husky sprockets the same. Pick up that rear with the DID "U" Dirt Star, would be perfect for slamming rocks in HI. We rode this weekend, 40 miles of brutal rocks, climbs, snot. Husky, KTM, and my GG. They were HAMMERED at the end of the day, and I felt great. You do not want to give up a well tuned GG for a PDS pumpkin, trust me.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Well DUH, I have a KTM 200 sitting in the garage! I will try to fit that wheel this weekend. I anticipate a "no fit" mostly due to the Brembo brakes but I will see if it can be done and what it will take.

Eric
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid