Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Default 2010 ec 250 2t

Hi folks, i am new to the forum, recently purchased a 2010 EC250 2t with approx 10hrs use by previous owner, bike was never used for racing. I had some running issues with it and had it rejetted as per the advice of the excellent tech team at GG UK, i also found the suspension pretty harsh and went by there advice on settings. Any way i just did my first full day yesterday 150 miles in the Yorkshire Dales which is mostly rocky trails and it was tough going physically as this bike skipped and was so unstable on the front end it was dangerous to push it, felt like the front would was out, i have had many bike and done this type of riding many times but never had a bike that felt so bad, i was so far behind other riders it was embarrassing. I swapped bikes with a few mates who were on KTMs and they were a joy to ride and they did not enjoy the GG at all.
Anyone had any experience of this with this model year, i have the Sachs setup front and rear.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Congrats on the purchase, I have done a bunch of riding round the Dales, and found the suspension too be abit harsh causing all sorts of deflecting issues on the trails, had the forks revalved and found it alot better, have a number of mates in the Peaks on gassers and they have also had their forks done, and they are happy with the handling, don't have a problem with keeping up or passing the orange bikes.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks mate, who did you use to re-valve your forks, i was advised to send them to Steve Plain in Wales by GG UK to get them sorted out. I was so pi**ed of with the handling i was at the stage of trading it in for something else as it was the worst bike i have ridden but i reckon will give it another go.

Cheers

Stevie
Old 06-08-2011, 03:18 PM

I sent them to Chris Hockey( drshox) first, and when they came back they were better but still not good enough so sent the back and again were better but not on the money, so then sent them to steve plain, and now they are pretty much dialled in for my riding style, also had Steve do the rear shock at the same time.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the info, just off the phone to Chris Hockey, looks though Steve Plain is the one that everyone recommends, what model of Gasser do you have is it the Sachs Front and Rear.

Cheers

Stevie
Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Mines a 02 300 ec with marzochi 50mm shivers and a ohlins rear shock, but both my friends have the sachs front and rear.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Hi m8, Steve Plain done the forks, should have them back Friday..fingers crossed they will transform the bike. Heading to Wales for a 2 day trail on Sunday.
I have got a Trusty Adj. Power Valve, you or your mates have any experience with it, i have the kit but no instructions.

I do quite a bit of trails down your neck of the woods, maybe me and a few of my mates could hook up with you guys some time for a rideout.

Cheers

Stevie
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Stock marz and sachs "suck" plain and simple.
I don't mean the're junk, it's good Quality material but setup is way off the planet for 90% of the riders.
For most any woods or technical type riding they are over damped and undersprung.
Although I can't coment on the 10 and 11 models, but I suspect they are the same.
To fix the fork properly you really need to know what your doing because, the mid-valve as well as the base valve stack need to be addressed.
Also how much free bleed, and/or what bleed stack is used?
What's the stock spring rate, and what it should be for the rider specs.
There are two approaches one can take.
Drop the coin and get it done professionally.
OR
DIY and learn as you go...just expect to be in and out of the suspension many,many times.
It took me 6 re..re valves until I was happy...that's a lot of hours.
The other issue is I had to fab my own shims, the marz and sachs are different than showa or kyb.

I say spend the coin, send them to LES at LT racing, A friend had him do his bike and I spent a couple of hours on it and I thought it worked pretty good.
very plush.
almost as good as mine LOL !!!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Hi, the forks were done by Steve Plain who is the Enduro Team Manager for GasGas UK so hopefullly he knows all the tweeks to have them sorted to as they should be. The springs on the 10 are seemingly are fine for my weight 90kg.
If not sorted to my liking then i have read on this forum Les is the one to go to have them sorted, will see how it goes....thanks

Stevie

Last edited by Stevie; 06-30-2011 at 11:09 AM.