Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 08-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default Casual Extreme

Embarked on a single track mission straight after work (14hrs of night shift). Home by 8:30 and on the bikes 9:45. Small group of riders of known calibre, with intent to spend a good couple solid hours working some single trail loops.

Crossed the first real creek. The base had been washed out over the wet season and its quite deep. All bikes made it across with exception for one which had a swim - ktm 450exc. We revived it, after pumping the water out of the exhaust and cylinder, however while idling away one mate managed to melt his pants onto the exhaust pipe. At the same time we noticed a flame under the fuel tank!! The tubing that vents from the head back around to the crank case had been making contact with the exhaust and with sustained idle and no airflow temps rose enough to burn a hole in it. We taped it up best we could and continued on.

Next stop, Obi had been losing oil from the breather and decided to pull the plug. Got home and lucky he left when he did for more than one reason.

We continued riding from flaggys track, into hells gate. A section of single which initially took 4 hours to ride half way while cutting it in - but can now be knocked out in 20-30mins keeping a good flow. No issues and the crew kept moving.

Went from there into ktm link, which is a short section of technical, but still virgin flagged single. Slow going for a few kms. Then onto Ktm track which has a few nice short climbs, and a few more rocks than earlier. Once again we're on par and moving well. Come out of there without too much drama.

Doubled back around to the northern end of flaggy and rode back in to the intersection of hells, and another freshly flagged single; Billy Goat Bluff. Its only 6km of single, but its got some quite difficult off camber climbs, knee high grass, and a load of ninja rocks and logs hiding under the ground cover. Bloody hard work later into a ride, but we were going well.. until we reached the rainforest.

Slippery rocks and roots, no traction, not much tread on the tyre, not much energy left, and what was had was sapped. The rainforest is only 300m, but I think I would have made it half way at best. The group of 5 split after losing around 2 hours struggling to climb a snotty section, to the point I could hardly stand up or walk. The camera man couldn't hold his phone to shoot a clear pic. People were swearing, engines labouring, and thoughts of never riding again were entering the minds. 3 perservered and made it through, while myself and another turned back.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

The pics don't show how bad the conditions were, but might indicate the level of fatigue on a couple of riders.

Finally, after back tracking, crossing the creek again (with no drownings), I embraced the cold water, sat down and reflected on what could only be described as a character building experience.

I'll be back, well rested, with a fresh set of rubber!! and I will make that rainforest mine!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Hey great report Jake.Like the piccys too.That last shot says it all.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
...I embraced the cold water, sat down and reflected on what could only be described as a character building experience.
Great write-up Jake

Do you guys head out with a geographic area in mind and then decide to ride through it without a trail cut in previously? I can only imagine how tough that is, especially if you're dealing with a rain forest

I've been that tired before - reminds me of how I felt after making it all the way down Bishop Ridge a couple weeks ago...lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty much. I know the area like the back of my hand. A little inspection with a topographic map and a few satellite images and you can start to work on a path. First couple times through are the hardest, but the hard work pays off when you can go out and ride 100kms of single track without transport sections!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Nice write up mate. I really have to get up there for a ride one day.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC
Old 08-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

That was Fridays mission. Went back and punched out another fat loop (without billy goats) on Sunday morning. Left at 9am and back in time for beers and lunch at the pub! Monday morning the muscles knew they'd been worked. Bikes still sitting covered in dirt/mud waiting to be washed!